The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Oil pressure to high to drive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad1993

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 1, 2012
Batesville, Arkansas
I Plan on going to my state capital city tomorrow and it's 1 hour and 45 minutes away. At 70mph my oil pressure is just at 80psi. When I'm driving around in town, my oil pressure is at 60psi at 60mph 25psi idle at 1k rpm. Would it be fine to drive that long with my pressure that high? Reason being so high of oil pressure is balance shafts taken out, and ACL Race bearings. I plan on doing the oil port mod when I got back. Thanks in advance.

I've done about 3 long 1.45-2 hour trips in my dsm with the pressure that high (with balance shafts and stock bearings). No i'll effects, but it usually settles at around 70psi after a while of cruising when the oil reaches its proper temperature.

I had some leaks at the valve cover. But I put Teflon tape on the threads on the bolts and fixed it. Is there suppose to be leaks at that much of high oil pressure?

Not going to blow oil out the cap since there is no oil pressure under the cap-just the blowby gasses.

Pressure is read at the lower end of the block, not up at the head.

If you're worried on high pressure, use a lighter weight of oil, like the 10w30 stock weight and not that 20w50 heavy molasses stuff.

Something to think about from reading about the "warning about forward facing ofh" thread. Depending on which ofh you have will depend on where your oil pressure sensor is located which is something to keep in mind when reading the psi. With that said, on my 90 ofh with external oil cooler and oem size filter (filter decrease pressure) I see about 90+ psi during a pull. I'm not concerned being my pressure sensor is located pre filter and pre oil cooler.

I just have the stock 2g ofh with an aftermarket oil pressure gauge sensor hooked too it. I was just making sure I can drive for a straight 1hr 45minutes one way on the interstate doing 70 at 80psi of oil pressure and be fine. Not doing this in a regular basis. Just there and back.

I think you will be fine. These road race guys worry more about oil temp then pressure when doing hard driving for long periods. I think at a constant rpm you should be fine. Assuming everything is in good condition (oil pump etc)

Just to confirm, I made it there and back no problem. Now just need to port that ofh. Should I start with the washer method on the big bolt?

The washer doesn't do much. At high rpm the pressure will keep climbing. It's not a bad mod since it takes very little time.
Your best option is to port the ofh. It takes more work but it controls oil pressure better.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back