The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2g head casting flaw - Attn: Bogus SVO

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodhart

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 22, 2006
Isanti, Minnesota
Picked this up the other night. Started looking at it yesterday, checks out straight as an arrow, flat to .002" but cylinders #1 and #4 have some casting flaws on the outer edges of the dome.

I assume the machine shop can smooth these out, but I figured I'd see what a few smart people on here would think before I am able to bring it in.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's showing 2 and 3 in the pic as a comparison.

Common, very common, I see the rough casting in the combustion chambers more often than not.

It can be polished out, or run as is. Depending on what the goals of the engine/car are.

If you polish them out, make sure to cc each chamber and equalize them with in .5cc from largest to smallest.

Sweet good to know. Could this be from detonation and not a casting flaw? Or is it that common to be rough in these spots?

Sweet good to know. Could this be from detonation and not a casting flaw? Or is it that common to be rough in these spots?

On each 2g head I have worked on there is some sort of flaw in the combustion chamber(s). It usually looks just like what you have posted.

In my opinion; I would conclude that what we're seeing is simply a casting issue. Detonation usually looks a little more extreme/gnarly. LOL I have set of 6g72TT heads in which one had a little detonation happen. It deformed it quite a bit Enough to where you cannot distinguish where the step from the [head]gasket mating surface to the combustion chamber is supposed to be. When I am able to I will get a picture so you can see what I mean.

This and the extra flashing on both the inside and the outside of these heads just goes to show how these cars were indeed selling faster than they could be made. Making things a little sloppy. This is exactly why I usually end up going to a 4g head with an assortment of chisels and my trusty Dremel! LOL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back