The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Machince shop FUBAR, suggestions please

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gixrman

20+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2002
Frederick, Maryland
I'm doing a rebuild after my OEM 7bolt died due to oil pump failure. When it came to the head I already had $$ into the 2g head but the V/G's were leaking so I decided to have it freshed up. Took it to a local machine shop to have the V/G's replaced and the deck milled. And this is what I got back. Well I didn't notice it until I had already mounted the head and damn near the rest of the motor. There is already a chunk missing and this is not just hanging there, I cant just move it, I would have to break it the rest of the way off with a screw driver. This is on the #1 exhuast port.

My question is if I remove it will it be ok? If I take it back off to the machine shop I have the feeling there going to say its not there fualt becuase the head was ported and it weaked it or some other B/S but this is the only one that this happened to.

Attachments

• Machine shop FUBAR3.jpg
    Machine shop FUBAR3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 65
In my opinion, I think you will be fine removing it. Remove it and see. Worst that could happen is the guides leak :/.

It's not typical that these heads break in that spot like that. I would be concerned that the guides had too much press fit and/or they were installed incorrectly (ie the head was not heated up to install them). This could lead to some damage if that's the case. Also, with that much press fit they can also close up the ID of the guide. Not a big deal if the honed the guides but it's something to look into.

Also, it doesn't look like the guides are pressed all the way in judging by the amount that's protruding into the port. If that's the case then you're going to have problems with spring retainer to valve seal interference.

I would at least call him and ask what's up. If this is an honorable shop they should have to over to pull a spring off, measure the guide clearance and the guide height in front of you to make you feel better about the situation.

Call me crazy but it looks like that piece is already gone from the other side of the port

Yes there is already a chunk missing from the left side of the guide. I'm going to take the picture to them on monday as I found this late lastnight. I really don't want to pull this head off unless there going to replace that brand new MLS gasket! I did rotate the cams once I installed it and didn't feel any binding but of coarse the lifters arn't pumped up yet.

Thanks JAM for the tech info. I'll bring those points up to him.

Yeah i feel like if you haven't run the HG through a heat cycle you should be fine to reuse it. If you gasket sprayed it, you may want to clean off both mating surfaces again when you drop the head back on.

I'll be honest, when I had my machine work done there, they were friendly, affordable, knowledgeable and very experienced and professional. However, when it came time to my cylinder head being cleaned up they did a great job decking my head and cleaning in etc, but when i brought it home to assemble the head, i noticed that every single one of my original valve guides were totally trashed. This does not surprise me since they were 20 years old and that head like most probably had over 100k miles on it, but I was really shocked that as a machine shop they didn't catch that and let me know. I should have caught it, but that I was racing to get my head torn down and throw it in my car and drive up to the machine shop and drop it off and hurry back in time to go to work that evening. This just meant i had to order the guides when found this up, but then take another long trip back up there. I feel responsible, but I really doubted there attention to detail after this, I will say that they will still get my business in the future based on my over experience. I haven't done a compression test on my new engine, but everything has been great so far.

No, I didn't spray it. I did search it and several people sware by multible uses with the MLS HG and others say no way, but i'm more concerned about this right now. I will contact them tomorrow and see what they say.

Last edited:
It's not typical that these heads break in that spot like that. I would be concerned that the guides had too much press fit and/or they were installed incorrectly (ie the head was not heated up to install them). This could lead to some damage if that's the case. Also, with that much press fit they can also close up the ID of the guide. Not a big deal if the honed the guides but it's something to look into.

Also, it doesn't look like the guides are pressed all the way in judging by the amount that's protruding into the port. If that's the case then you're going to have problems with spring retainer to valve seal interference.

I would at least call him and ask what's up. If this is an honorable shop they should have to over to pull a spring off, measure the guide clearance and the guide height in front of you to make you feel better about the situation.

Yep what JAM said

After talking with the machine shop yesterday and shoing them what the damage was it was determined to break that piece off and run it that way. The owner stated that he would fix any problems that came from this mishap and thats what he would have done if I brought the head back to him anyway. When I asked why it was overlooked during final assembly of the head and not mentioned when I picked it up he wasn't happy since I did it in front of customers. Will I go back? Don't know, but I'm going to inspect the $hit out of everything before I take anything back from any shop from now on. He does good work and is always busy. If I would have missed it, it would have deffinently broken off when the engine was running and jamed up the turbine wheel destroying the turbo. I used a flathead screw driver and with little effort it broke the rest of the way off.

What shop? So I know to avoid them in an emergency. I have a head guy but he's all the way in California and if I'm in a pinch I want to know to avoid whoever did this nonsense to you. If you don't want to share in public would you send me a pm?

I'll PM you, i'm not going to say it a bad shop, things do happen to everyone. Its a chalk up to human error or poor follow though I guess. I'm an optimist, LOL. I've had other locals who say they've had good experiences with this place and others who have'nt. I've could have taken it someplace else that specializes in DSM's like JAM but there an hour away and this place is 5min. down the road.

I had a over all good experience with that shop. Again, they were very friendly, affordable, and the turn around time was very quick. He quoted me a 2-3 weeks for all of the machine work on my block including balancing etc and even though they were pretty busy, he got it done in less than 3 weeks. I went with that shop because i was told a lot of the fast/high horse power guys in our area from when i started getting in to DSMs used them and had good experiences. So far my engine has been great.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back