Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2011, 10:22 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,773
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 8
Reputation: laserspeeddemon is extremely helpful and trustworthylaserspeeddemon is extremely helpful and trustworthylaserspeeddemon is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to laserspeeddemon Send a message via Yahoo to laserspeeddemon

What are fair machine shop prices.

I dropped my block, crank and head off with a machine shop. I called him last week and he hasn't put together a final price. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to get ripped off. What are fair prices for machine work? I am really looking for people who built the engine themselves or machinist to answer. Please don't answer if you never had these done or have done these services yourself.

Block:
Hot Tank
Align bore/hone the mains
Bored/Hone Cylinder to 86mm (0.040" over)
Deck
(Possibly: Hot Tank a 2nd time)
(possibly:Install or re-install freeze plugs.)
Final cleaning

Crank:
Clean Crankshaft
Turn/Polish Main/Rod Journals
Final cleaning

Head:
Hot Tank/Clean head
Clean Valves
Square/Resurface Head
Reface valves
Lap Valves
Final Cleaning.

Also all the machine shops around here a filthy (including the one I took my parts too), is this common thing?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 104
Classifieds Rating: 13
I had my block at a machine shop got it: hot tanked, line honed, bored .20 over with tourqe plate, new freeze plugs installed, top was cut for a mls headgasket, painted. My crank, rods, pistons, and flywheel were then balanced together. Then he installed everything to spec and it all cost me 1100 I feel that was a fair price for the amount of work he did and he was a great guy, had a lot of NASCAR drivers pictures with him in it and some were autographed saying " thanks for the best block I ever ran"... Guess that's good enough for me haha

And talking about being clean, they deal with alot of cutting oil and small metal chips it's bound to be dirty. When I received my block it was wrapped in plastic and packed into a cardboard box for me to take home so my block was clean that's all I really cared about. Hope this helps a little bit

Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: laserspeeddemon is extremely helpful and trustworthylaserspeeddemon is extremely helpful and trustworthylaserspeeddemon is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to laserspeeddemon Send a message via Yahoo to laserspeeddemon
It does a bit. JAM was going to charge me about that price using my rods/pistons so it's in the ball park, but I am doing all of the assembly myself.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 228
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 6
Heres My list.

Balance 4 cylinder auto-- $130.00

Degrease engine Block-- $35.00

Bore and Hone cyl.-- $18 (each) $72 (Total)

Deck 4 cyl. Block-- $78

Line hone 5 main-- $130

Valve job 4 cyl.multi valve-- $140

R&R pressed guide-- $5 (each) $80 (Total)

Mill 4 or 6 cyl Head-- $40

Pressure Test--$40

Some of this stuff you may or may not do obviously, but this is what i had done. I took those right off of my receipt. I got a new 2.3l crank so i didnt need any of the crank stuff done. I installed everything myself, Final washed it myself ###### 2-3 times, and put in the freeze plugs.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-20-2011, 09:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

This guy is charging me nearly $1000 for machine work.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 499
Classifieds Rating: 9
Reputation: RvlutionMtrsprt is extremely helpful and trustworthyRvlutionMtrsprt is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to RvlutionMtrsprt Send a message via MSN to RvlutionMtrsprt Send a message via Yahoo to RvlutionMtrsprt
I pay as follows:

Align Hone Mains $100
R&R Valve guides $100
Valve job $135
Resurface Head $35
Resurface Block $35
Hot Tank (Head or block) $25 per trip (usually 2x for head and block)
Polish Crankshaft $30 (if it needs to be cut you should throw it in the scrap pile)
Set Main/Rod bearing clearances $75-100 (this is billed on time and it doesn't always take the same amount of time).
0 Balance Rotating Assembly $100
Bore/Hone Cylinders with torque plate ~$150 (I don't have this figure memorized)
R&R Freeze Plugs $75 (if I were to pay the machine shop)

So that's $960 if I were to pay my machinist to do all of the above work.
Depending on all the specifics, $1000 is in the ballpark.
Visit RvlutionMtrsprt's homepage! 

Old 05-20-2011, 10:48 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 9.120 @ 158.480
Tech Posts: 1,119
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 27
Reputation: talondave is pretty helpful and trustworthytalondave is pretty helpful and trustworthy
My machine shop charged me $400 for just about everything you need done, and they do good work, hell this is the second season on my race motor!!!
But I put everything together, and measured everything.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
DSMtuners Supporting Vendor

Jackson Auto Machine 

Tech Posts: 598
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: JacksonAuto is extremely helpful and trustworthyJacksonAuto is extremely helpful and trustworthyJacksonAuto is extremely helpful and trustworthy
We charge $685 for a complete 4 cylinder block prep. It includes ARP main studs, BS bearings, freeze plugs and galley plug.

Hot tank, clean, inspect and magnaflux block
Check align bore with ARP studs
Square deck
Bore .020" over
Plate hone
Final wash
Install new BS bearings, freeze plugs and galley plugs

Stroker engines add $120 for deburring the block, clearancing the block and modifying the balance shafts.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:53 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 67
Classifieds Rating: 2
I'm at about $450 at my shop with everything you have listed minus the head work.Mine will also be magnufluxed

Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 528
Classified Ads: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserspeeddemon View Post
I dropped my block, crank and head off with a machine shop. I called him last week and he hasn't put together a final price. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to get ripped off. What are fair prices for machine work? I am really looking for people who built the engine themselves or machinist to answer. Please don't answer if you never had these done or have done these services yourself.

Block:
Hot Tank
Align bore/hone the mains
Bored/Hone Cylinder to 86mm (0.040" over)
Deck
(Possibly: Hot Tank a 2nd time)
(possibly:Install or re-install freeze plugs.)
Final cleaning

Crank:
Clean Crankshaft
Turn/Polish Main/Rod Journals
Final cleaning

Head:
Hot Tank/Clean head
Clean Valves
Square/Resurface Head
Reface valves
Lap Valves
Final Cleaning.

Also all the machine shops around here a filthy (including the one I took my parts too), is this common thing?
$800.00 here nj

Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 131
Quote:
Some filthy shops do great work, but they're not all filthy. The shop that did my block work has a floor clean enough to lick (if you're into floor licking). And another shop that I've been to is so clean, ALL of their workers wear bright white collared button-up dress shirts on the job. It's funny seeing guys dressed like that while running a bridgeport or dropping a tranny.

Quote:
This guy is charging me nearly $1000 for machine work.
That's a pretty decent price for everything listed, as long as they do good work. The price that I paid my local shop for my blockwork was inline with what JacksonAuto quoted above. Also make sure they have a torque plate for boring and honing.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-24-2011, 08:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 109
Classifieds Rating: 3
Hot tank, Bore & hone, deck, cut and polish crank and line hone and I'm in for 560. This does not include any disassembly, re assembly or head work on the machine shops part including freeze plugs. Ill be spending another 200 for the rotating assembly balance. I don't think 1000 bucks for what you had done is unreasonable. Maybe a touch on the high side but not by much. I personally would rather pay more for first class work than a little less for so so work.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,643
Photos: 13
Classifieds Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleshawn View Post
Hot tank, Bore & hone, deck, cut and polish crank and line hone and I'm in for 560. This does not include any disassembly, re assembly or head work on the machine shops part including freeze plugs. Ill be spending another 200 for the rotating assembly balance. I don't think 1000 bucks for what you had done is unreasonable. Maybe a touch on the high side but not by much. I personally would rather pay more for first class work than a little less for so so work.
Exactly. Get some references and if it's first class work, I'd pay the extra easily.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well this shop ended up being a TOTAL rip off.

First they bored the block straight to 86mm without every looking at the pistons. Which has me concerned that the piston to wall clearance is to loose.

My wife picked up the head back and paid $500, since I plan on sending it off to get ported/polished and my head is FILTHY. He claimed that it was hot tanked twice, but not only is it covered with engine grease and the old valve cover gasket still sticking to the head. But I marked all the camshaft caps with a number and then marked the head where they go. I marked this with DRY ERASE MAKER. The markings are still on the head. I took my finger and wiped the mark away. This guy is a total rip off.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 801
Classifieds Rating: 3
Man that sounds horrible, what are you going to do next?

Old 05-26-2011, 06:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 228
Photos: 5
Id go back and talk to him. He obviously didnt do shit if it still has crap all over it.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 457
Classifieds Rating: 4
I had jacksons machine my block,the whole idea was to assembly it myself but after reading some threads about eagle rods not being within spec,i decided to let them assemble it too.So i had them bore .020,assemble and balance it wisco's on eagles, and what do you know,the big end of the brand new eagle rods were 1/10 of an inch too big,so i had to spend an other $70.00 to have them resized.So i'm glad i did not assemble it myself.Paying the extra for peace of mind priceless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	block2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	123331  

Old 05-26-2011, 08:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 131
Quote:

First they bored the block straight to 86mm without every looking at the pistons. Which has me concerned that the piston to wall clearance is to loose.

My wife picked up the head back and paid $500, since I plan on sending it off to get ported/polished and my head is FILTHY. He claimed that it was hot tanked twice, but not only is it covered with engine grease and the old valve cover gasket still sticking to the head. But I marked all the camshaft caps with a number and then marked the head where they go. I marked this with DRY ERASE MAKER. The markings are still on the head. I took my finger and wiped the mark away. This guy is a total rip off.
Put your foot down man! I know you have it in you.

They promised you a lemon pie and gave you a poo pie.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 05-26-2011, 10:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

The problem is I don't have time to deal with this. My wife opens her business in about 1 month. We need 2 cars, now! We got $150,000 into the business. We lose that we lose our home and it's back to the army with me.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 741
Photos: 62
Classifieds Rating: 15
Reputation: talonDSMerr is pretty helpful and trustworthytalonDSMerr is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to talonDSMerr
Quote:

Yikes, heads aren't supposed to be hot tanked, only jet washed. The acid used in hot tanking is known to eat away at the aluminum, and the high temperatures can easily warp the head...