Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 410
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 0

camshafts wont turn

Ok...in need of some good help. I just replaced the head on my car, so i have it on and i started to do the timing belt job. I have the belt on snug/tight and proper but i cannot get the camshafts to turn. I honestly made another mistake and was turning the crankshaft and "slip" there it went turning without the cams. i have the cams lined up at TDC. Im pulling the head again to make sure i didnt bend any valves. All the camshaft clamps are in the right order. I need help what could it possibly be I've been doing this all day, i mean from 9am to now-6pm. Help please

The problem.....Switched cam caps. Original to original

Last edited by kenuwine4g63; 02-19-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 867
Photos: 45
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to matt98eclipse
No need to pull the head to check if valves are bent. Just pull the valve cover and try and wiggle each roller rockers and see if any of them are looae. If all of them are nice and tight your good but now if you have any that a farely loose then you have a bent valve.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

ok cool. I cant believe something so small could waste my entire da. I used the cam caps off my other head because they are cleaner than the ones that came with my replacement head. Those bad boys are tough. But what about the cam cap that is closest to the cam gear does that one have to be changed out too. Im using the cams that came off my car instead of the ones that cam with the head. Those cam caps on the one closest to the cam gear dosnt come off...I dont believe

Old 02-19-2011, 05:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 49
Classifieds Rating: 1
You must use the cam caps that came with the head, you have installed on the engine.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 867
Photos: 45
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via AIM to matt98eclipse
Like stated above. You must use the origanl cam caps for the head. Each head and cam caps are mechined to work togethor. If you mix up the cam caps from different heads the head has to get a line bore done by a mechine shop.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 148
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 1
Same mistake I made when I was doing my first head was tighten the caps too much check the torque spec on the and take them off and retighten them

Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,002
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to NOSLO2PT0 Send a message via Yahoo to NOSLO2PT0
You CANNOT switch cam caps from head to head. That's why your cams won't turn.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 584
Classifieds Rating: 7
now you'll need to check the belt to make sure you didn't damage that as well. ie. ripping the teeth off of it. just a thought.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

ohh yes i changed the cam caps and the gears turn so much easier thanks guys. The belt is fine it wasnt tight enought to pull any teeth off. i oiled the head while i was turning the engine to check my timing marks so it spins pretty good.