The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Bad lifters, what happens? (not a tick question)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highpsi93tsi

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2002
Ontario_Canada
If your Timing belt is still as tight as It was when replaced 2 yrs ago, then why upon start-up does it sound like someone wants out of my valvecover with a hammer? It sounds like VIOLENT lifter clatter(even after letting car sit 24hrs it still did it on start-up and with RPMs). Looked under VC and no damage/things flying around. I know to check the timing marks etc but I really think its a botched lifter, how do I go about checking them? Thankyou in advance!!

i had the same problem and my intake valves were touching my pistons. Just ever so slightly. still not sure what the problem was i got new lifters valves, none were bent, springs and the head machined and my problem went away. Alot of money but took care of it all.

Thanks guys, lets say the timing is fine. How do I check for a bad lifter from looking at them w/ VC off? Thanks again.

You can pull them out( remove rocker's), and take a paper clip, and stick it down the whole in the top of the lifter( used to get oil to the rocker's), with it in you should be able to depress the lifter's all the way. If they don't go down then they need to be replaced.

I try to wiggle the rockers, push down on them. That would show if a lifter is not holding pressure. Of course about half the lifters are compressed by the lobes at any one time, so you're not learning much about those.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back