Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 11:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,777
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via ICQ to RipperXX Send a message via AIM to RipperXX Send a message via Yahoo to RipperXX

lightest strongest connecting rod?

I am curious as I can't seem to find alot of info on connecting rods for our engines, that partains to there exact spec.

What I am looking for is the lightest and strongest rod I can get my hands on. Something that can take 500whp but light weight. My goal is only 380-400whp but why not over build?

At any rate if someone could post up how much the more common rods weigh and what there rated to hold I think this could be very usefull info to more than just myself.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 198
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to talon1987 Send a message via Yahoo to talon1987
Aluminum rods i would think would be the lightest and strongest checks these ones out http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=5557&

Old 03-23-2006, 11:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 355
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to playitlouddsm
Check out this thread, very good info on rod weights. Weights: piston, rod, crank

Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon1987
Aluminum rods i would think would be the lightest and strongest checks these ones out http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=5557&
yes aluminum rods are the strongest and lightest...but they also require you to retorque the rod bolts every 5k miles or so...so if you are awd...that means about every oil change...you have to drop the cross member, drop the transfer case, un bolt the dp, take the pan off and retorque the bolts...not something i would want to do on a daily driver...also the cost of the rods are way to expensive...aluminum rods are made for drag cars...if you goal is 500...and you want to go cheap...eagles should be able to handle that much with a proper tune...get them on ebay for 300 + shipping...i personally do not like eagles...so if you have the extra cash i would go the stronger crower...i personally have pauter rods...they are the strongest non aluminum rods available but they weigh alot...i got them at an incredible deal though...hope this helps...

Old 03-24-2006, 10:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,702
Reputation: fourreGsixty3 is extremely helpful and trustworthyfourreGsixty3 is extremely helpful and trustworthyfourreGsixty3 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to fourreGsixty3 Send a message via MSN to fourreGsixty3
Ok lets see, oliver, pauter, and crower are excelent. Alum rods by groden(sp?) are probably what you are looking for, and its not retorquing them thats the problem, its that the alum flexes due to its chemical make-up, and that puts stress on the rod bolts. But since you are shooting for 500HP this shouldn't be a problem because you will be in your engine atleast once each year or more, and the alum rods aren't too much more expensive>>>http://www.slowboyracing.com/shop.php?cat=37&, crower's rods are 685$ and GRPs alum rods are 699$. or >>>http://www.ffwdconnection.com/rods.shtml, even cheaper...I remember seeing something on SBR about groden alum rods, with apr rod bolts combo, for a pretty good deal, but Im not sure if that deal stopped running.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Non-Supporting Vendor

Slowboy Racing 

Tech Posts: 366
Reputation: JDNSBR is extremely helpful and trustworthyJDNSBR is extremely helpful and trustworthyJDNSBR is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to JDNSBR
For a daily driver I do not recommend an aluminum rod. They do not stand up to heat very well for long periods of time. They are made for race only. For your application and what you are shooting for I would narrow it down to three choices; Manley H beams, Eagle, and Scat. Here are the average weights.

1) Manley H Beams - 550 grams

2) Eagle - 575 grams

3) Scat - 639 grams.
Visit JDNSBR's homepage! 

Old 03-24-2006, 10:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,702
Reputation: fourreGsixty3 is extremely helpful and trustworthyfourreGsixty3 is extremely helpful and trustworthyfourreGsixty3 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to fourreGsixty3 Send a message via MSN to fourreGsixty3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNSBR
For a daily driver I do not recommend an aluminum rod. They do not stand up to heat very well for long periods of time. They are made for race only. For your application and what you are shooting for I would narrow it down to three choices; Manley H beams, Eagle, and Scat. Here are the average weights.

2) Eagle - 575 grams

3) Scat - 639 grams.
Oh I didnt realize it was a DD, perhaps carrillo A-Beam rods would be nice, 520grams, not sure how much they with stand but Im inclined to believe that if your not making nasty amounts of power like shep, they will hold up nicely.
EDIT*** By the way, the Alum rods would hold up fine, its just the rod bolt's that would take the ebating due to the expansion rate of aluminum, but like you said they arnt recommended for street use... they would be fine for a 30/70 street/ track combo.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 331
Quote:

2) Eagle - 575 grams

3) Scat - 639 grams.

Have any weights for Oliver rods?
Visit ISUJakey's homepage! 

Old 03-24-2006, 11:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Non-Supporting Vendor

Slowboy Racing 

Reputation: JDNSBR is extremely helpful and trustworthyJDNSBR is extremely helpful and trustworthyJDNSBR is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Oliver's average is as follows;

6 bolt - 605 grams

7 bolt - 576 grams
Visit JDNSBR's homepage! 

Old 03-24-2006, 12:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

just for reference...how much do pauters weigh...lol...

Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourreGsixty3
Oh I didnt realize it was a DD, perhaps carrillo A-Beam rods would be nice, 520grams, not sure how much they with stand but Im inclined to believe that if your not making nasty amounts of power like shep, they will hold up nicely.
EDIT*** By the way, the Alum rods would hold up fine, its just the rod bolt's that would take the ebating due to the expansion rate of aluminum, but like you said they arnt recommended for street use... they would be fine for a 30/70 street/ track combo.
like i said in my first post...the rod bolts have to be retorqued every 5k miles or so...so if you plan on using it for more than quarter mile passes...you will be doing alot of oil pan removal...lol...

Old 03-24-2006, 12:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Non-Supporting Vendor

Slowboy Racing 

Pauter's average weights are as follows;

6 bolt - 685 grams

7 bolt - 650grams

You guys are killing me. Just kidding.
Visit JDNSBR's homepage! 

Old 03-25-2006, 07:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUJakey
Have any weights for Oliver rods?

Damn heavy Just mated mine up with my venolia pistons and I thought they felt kinda heavy. If your wanting to make under 500hp, I think any will do.

Old 03-26-2006, 04:54 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: MR2
Tech Posts: 35
Send a message via AIM to AlmostStock TSi Send a message via Yahoo to AlmostStock TSi
When I worked for a machine shop we had a problem with Eagle rod eqipped engines knocking after a very short period of time. We decided to measure all the big ends (bearing holes) and out of something like 24 rods only about 2-3 measured out to spec. From then on if anyone wanted or ordered Eagle rods we had to machine them back to spec. Take that for what it's worth, but personally, I would use sock Mitsu rods before Eagle rods again.

Old 03-26-2006, 06:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 128
Why has no one mentioned the Manley "I" beam rods ?

Old 03-26-2006, 07:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 260
Send a message via Yahoo to missouri_dsm
I heard David Buschur say that Crower rods are stronger than eagle rods but he prefers eagle rods because they are lighter. He also said he has never seen crower rods break and only a handful of eagle rods break that were in extremely high horsepower cars. These 2 rods are what they use in their stage 3 shortblocks.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Non-Supporting Vendor

Slowboy Racing 

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri_dsm
I heard David Buschur say that Crower rods are stronger than eagle rods but he prefers eagle rods because they are lighter. He also said he has never seen crower rods break and only a handful of eagle rods break that were in extremely high horsepower cars. These 2 rods are what they use in their stage 3 shortblocks.
That is because it is two different types of rods. The Crowers are an I beam where the Eagles are an H beam. In "high horse power" applications of course the Eagles are going to break more often than the Crowers. The Eagles have a HP rating of 600 while the Crowers have a rating of 700 HP. The I beam design has been know to withstand alot more abuse than the H beam design. (In our motors) Different types of rods for two different types of wants and needs.
Visit JDNSBR's homepage! 

Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 263
How are the Manley's vs the Eagles in ~400hp street apps? The Eagle QC is a concern...
Visit Jon Lane's homepage! 

Old 03-26-2006, 09:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Non-Supporting Vendor

Slowboy Racing 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lane
How are the Manley's vs the Eagles in ~400hp street apps? The Eagle QC is a concern...
The H beam vs H beam is pretty close in compariablity. When you talk the Manley I beams vs Eagle then of course Manley all the way. However H beam vs H beam, I still prefer Manley. Made in USA by a great company and have had no problems yet.
Visit JDNSBR's homepage! 

Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 88
Quote:
That is because it is two different types of rods. The Crowers are an I beam where the Eagles are an H beam. In "high horse power" applications of course the Eagles are going to break more often than the Crowers. The Eagles have a HP rating of 600 while the Crowers have a rating of 700 HP. The I beam design has been know to withstand alot more abuse than the H beam design. (In our motors) Different types of rods for two different types of wants and needs.
Since you are doing so well with the HP ratings, you dont happen to know what the hp rating is for the oliver billitt rods are do you? I just hope they will hold up till I do the alumium rods in the other motor. Thanks in advance.