The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Weights: piston, rod, crank

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8s_are_slow

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 30, 2002
Panama City, Florida
I just got my Scat rods, Wiseco pistons (for stroker), and 4G64 crank and measured them all.

Scat rods- 0.640 grams or 1.41 pounds
(measured rod only with no bearing but WITH rod cap and arp bolts installed)
Wiseco piston- 0.295 grams or 0.65 pounds
(measured the piston only. no piston rings or pin)
4G64 crank- 15.675 grams or 34.56 pounds
(6 bolt)

I'm building a 2.3 liter stroker and just wondering what the weight difference is between these and a stock 6 bolt rod, piston, and 4G63 crank. Or any other rod, piston, crank combo, etc.

I'll be knife edging the crank and sending it off to buschur later this week. I'll try and remember to take another measurement when i get it back. Anyone know the weight of other brands? Stock for that matter? Trying to figure out how much total weight I'll be saving w/out balance shafts, 8 pound flywheel, lightened pressure plate (taking off 3 or 4 pounds), etc. Thanks and hope this info becomes useful for others.

Scott

1G rods- 0.695 grams or 1.53 pounds
(measured rod only with no bearing but WITH rod cap and bolts installed)
Stock piston- 0.365 grams or 0.80 pounds
(measured the piston only. no piston rings or pin)
4G63 crank- 16.230 grams or 35.78 pounds
(6 bolt and lighter than the 4G64)

Totals weight (including 4 pistons and 4 rods)
Rods (stock)- 2.78 grams or 6.12 pounds (scat)- 2.56 grams or 5.64 pounds
pistons (stock)- 1.46 grams or 3.2 pounds (wiseco)- 1.18 grams or 2.6 pounds
Total weight (stock)- 4.24 grams or 9.32 pounds (forged)- 3.74 grams or 8.24 pounds

Crank (stock 6 bolt)- 16.230 grams or 35.78 pounds (4G64)- 15.675 grams or 34.56 pounds

Total weight (stock rods and pistons w/crank)- 20.47 grams or 45.1 pounds
Total weight (forged rods and pistons w/crank)- 19.415 grams or 42.8 pounds

Total weight differences- 1.055 grams or 2.3 pounds

Although I'm getting my crank knife edged and it's at Buschur's at the moment. Taking off an additional 7 pounds so that's about 9 pounds taken off just from the internals alone. Not including the Fidanza and other things :D (19 pound stock flywheel according to RRE vs. my 8 pound flywheel. Total for "MY" setup will be about 23-24 pounds total taken off my rotating assembly on my stroker. Woohoo!!! Rev this!!!)
That's all I've got for now but guess ya'll can use this as a reference. Hope it helps!

Scott

Edit: For my setup, I didn't include balance shafts that are being taken out as well. Anyone know the weight of those right off hand? I've searched and searched and can't find the weight of the balance shafts :(

Some interesting information there. Couple of your numbers are off though its probably just a typo.
pistons (stock)- 1.46 grams or 3.2 pounds (wiseco)- 3.2 grams or 3.2 pounds

Also you are talking kilograms or KG rather than grams.

Good info though.

Yes, Kilograms is what I'm meaning. If my numbers are off, what do you have? That's what the scale told me. It's digital and used the same one when measuring the weight and had another one that I double checked with to make sure the numbers didn't change. .

When you are talking about total piston weight. The stock pistons were 0.8lbs each and 3.2 total. The wisecos were 0.65lbs each and also 3.2 total? Should be 2.6lbs for the total wiseco weight, unless you are including wrist pins or something. Also about the wiseco weights you have 3.2 lbs and 3.2 kgs... Just some math errors :thumb:

aero_sallee said:
When you are talking about total piston weight. The stock pistons were 0.8lbs each and 3.2 total. The wisecos were 0.65lbs each and also 3.2 total? Should be 2.6lbs for the total wiseco weight, unless you are including wrist pins or something. Also about the wiseco weights you have 3.2 lbs and 3.2 kgs... Just some math errors :thumb:

Oops, I didn't realize I did that. Lemme look into it and see what I did wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

Edit: Okay I think I fixed it all, but total weight differences is still the same. Hope that was everything. Thanks for pointing out my typo's.

Just got my crank back from Buschur after getting it knife edged. Not too happy about the weight they took off. But figured I'd post up the difference.

When i got it and before sending it off it was, 15.675 grams or 34.56 pounds
After getting it knife edged and balanced it's 15.465 grams or 34.10 pounds

Debating on sending it out to FFWD now. Just that it's be $40 that it cost me to ship it and $315 that Buschur charged me that would be going down the drain and all for nothing. :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back