Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Cylinder Head & Short Block
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Cylinder Head & Short Block: 4G63 cams, valvetrain, pistons, rods, stroker kits, 6-bolt swaps, hybrids, etc. Read this Forum's Strict Guidelines.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 08:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 643
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to Mike 99GSX
Sorry to stray a little off topic but since it was mentioned: Is there anyone out there running the HKS T04Z yet?

DQ 1G: 8.96@160mph
DQ 2G: 10.46@143mph
Visit Mike 99GSX's homepage! 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 570
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 4
Send a message via AIM to DSMu4ia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalon
I thought the HKS TO4R still used the traditional older Garrett TO4R wheel, not the new one? But yes, that appears to be the GT67 wheel.

Here's a little snippet from www.turbobuick.com

Bolded the most important part. The GT67 makes more power than a T66 or T67, spools significantly quicker, and is very efficient at low and high boost. It seems like an ideal wheel for a mid displacement (2-3 litres) car that wants to make a whole shitload of power, and yet wants to have good spool and still make good power on low boost for pump gas. I was told this should spool like a 62-1, and make power like a T70!
Got any quotes for spool on a 2.0?

You sound like your're benchracing this turbo, back it up with facts y0.
Visit DSMu4ia's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-26-2004, 09:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 85
Classifieds Rating: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMu4ia
Got any quotes for spool on a 2.0?

You sound like your're benchracing this turbo, back it up with facts y0.
This post has me a little concerned wit hte spool characteristics of the T67 on a DSM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalon
Reasonable spool and 700 WHP typically don't belong in the same area as each other.
I'm running a PT67, I'm seeing 20 pounds of boost by about 6500 RPM's, spinning the motor to over 9000. I'm unsatisfied with the powerband, that's why I'm building a 2.3L stroker to throw in it's place, along with a new GT67 compressor wheel. We just made 601 WHP with this same turbo on a friends 1.8L integra at only 25 pounds of boost, so I think pushing it into the 30's you would be able to make 650+ WHP. Street driving from a very slow roll sucks because it does take a long time to make boost, but if you're launching or going from a faster roll where you can downshift a bunch it's alright. If I'm racing I spray a 125 shot of juice starting @ 3000 RPM's, and I have the AEM shut it off once I push in the clutch or as soon as I see 14 pounds of boost, boost comes on a lot quicker, and it helps smooth out any boost drop off between gears. I don't expect to have to use nitrous when I get the 2.3 and the new compressor wheel in.
Visit poorboyj's homepage! 

Old 08-26-2004, 01:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyj
This post has me a little concerned wit hte spool characteristics of the T67 on a DSM.
There are lots of variables for turbo spool, you have to keep that in mind. I have run .58, .68, and .81 housings with this turbo. The .81 was too laggy for street use, the .58 I found made the turbo like a lightswitch, it would go from 0-20 psi over the span of a few hundred RPM and it made it a handful to drive on the street, now with the .68 it slowed it down a bit and made it more smooth. Other things such as compression, altitide, how much fuel is in the motor, and timing all can have a large effect on how quickly your turbo spools. Here's a car running a .58 A/R T67, 580 WHP @ 29 psi, it looks like he's seeing excellent boost in the 5500-6000 range, and it actually makes a nice power curve on the top end there after the turbo spools. Click Here. That power curve would look even better if he spun it out another 500 or 1000 RPM's, and even more so with a 2.3L stroker. Pick the right components and it'll all work out OK

Old 08-30-2004, 08:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 666
Send a message via AIM to eclipsegsx9797
im trying to choose between the two now and ive been stuck on the gt35r with the .82 a/r.

only thing ive been ? is there are so many people out there running these two turbos and it seems as the gt35r is the better turbo by far but is not running better times then the 3065. i mean with full built cars with 2.3 strokers i know people trapping there max at 135 range when ive seen the 3065 run quicker. i have yet to see a gt35r trap higher then 136mph. this leads me to wonder if the 3065 is the better made turbo.
Visit eclipsegsx9797's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-30-2004, 09:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegsx9797
im trying to choose between the two now and ive been stuck on the gt35r with the .82 a/r.

only thing ive been ? is there are so many people out there running these two turbos and it seems as the gt35r is the better turbo by far but is not running better times then the 3065. i mean with full built cars with 2.3 strokers i know people trapping there max at 135 range when ive seen the 3065 run quicker. i have yet to see a gt35r trap higher then 136mph. this leads me to wonder if the 3065 is the better made turbo.

Magnus' car has trapped 153 with a GT35R

Old 08-30-2004, 10:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 609
Quote:

I KNOW the 35r would have the top end advantage with the bigger turbine wheel, hence why fp is offering the 3065 (although pricey). Comparing different cars with differnt set ups is silly. Eitehr ways its the smame compressor wheel, so it will ultimately me limited ot the same power potential. It just depends on what boost you will need to run

Old 08-30-2004, 11:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 99GSX
Magnus' car has trapped 153 with a GT35R

damn i did not know that, see you learn something new everyday lol

Old 08-31-2004, 04:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yeah, you might want to check out the official times page.

Jay

Old 08-31-2004, 05:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 570
Send a message via AIM to DSMu4ia
Quote:

Tapp Auto's near-full weight (3klbs w/driver) street 2g, has went 144.3mph NO NITROUS on a gt35r. However, there are so many combinations of the so called "GT35R" that 95% of these people quoting numbers/specs don't really have a clue.
Visit DSMu4ia's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-31-2004, 05:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Tapp Auto's near-full weight (3klbs w/driver) street 2g, has went 144.3mph NO NITROUS on a gt35r. However, there are so many combinations of the so called "GT35R" that 95% of these people quoting numbers/specs don't really have a clue.
Exactly, just because you have the 65 lb/min GT40 compressor wheel, many people just lump all these turbos together when they all have different hot sides.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:

see thats the stuff i wanted to hear sense my car is daily driven.

Old 08-31-2004, 06:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 430
Quote:
see thats the stuff i wanted to hear sense my car is daily driven.
A 700+whp daily driver? Good luck!

Old 08-31-2004, 07:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Proven Member

Slightly off topic, but I know of a few guys running 36-40 psi on these GT40 compressor and larger turbos. What head gaskets are you guys using? Is the Cometic HP good enough? Assuming I am not running to much timing or running into pre-ignition.

Thanks,
Jay

Old 08-31-2004, 03:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,095
Classifieds Rating: 12
I fail to find an fp3575 anywhere on forced performance website................

Old 08-31-2004, 03:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX_RCR
A 700+whp daily driver? Good luck!

actully i dont need any of your luck and no one ever said 700+ hp. all i stated was my car is daily driven with a few extra goodies to make my car that much faster on the street with 93 octane.

Old 08-31-2004, 07:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 430
Quote:
actully i dont need any of your luck and no one ever said 700+ hp. all i stated was my car is daily driven with a few extra goodies to make my car that much faster on the street with 93 octane.
I guess some people just don't take sarcasm very well?

But you did quote Tapp Auto's GSX, which does indeed make 700whp. Hence the 700whp reference.

But go for it. No one said you couldn't do it. Heck, that's why we're all here, right?

Old 08-31-2004, 07:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,902
Classifieds Rating: 1
Quote:
I thought that the Tapp Auto car was running a GT40. Or is that some varient of the GT35R?

Old 08-31-2004, 08:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch_Box
I thought that the Tapp Auto car was running a GT40. Or is that some varient of the GT35R?
Most of the time a GT35R is actually a GT3540R (35 turbine, 40 compressor), with the 61mm compressor wheel inducer. FP denotes their FP3575 turbo is actually a GT3540 turbo, but it uses the larger 67mm compressor inducer, and uses the conventional sleeve bearing. Also, any XXX61 turbo used the GT40 61mm inducer compressor wheel. The XXX67 turbos are using the GT40 67mm inducer compressor wheel.

It seems to me like the GT40 compressor wheel is very versitile. Mating it to the ideal turbine wheel and housing is what can make a difference. Kinda of a spool vs. top end trade off.

My two cents,
Jay

Old 09-02-2004, 03:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #40 (permalink)
Proven Member

http://www.precisionturbo.net/

FYI, if anyone has been looking for the PTE site for the last week, they have moved to http://www.precisionturbo.net/

Jay