The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Custom Valve Cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAXWHITE1G

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I had been looking fora JDM Mitsubishi valve cover for a long time but wasn't ready to part with the cash that everyone was asking.
I decided to make an original. Starting with a Hyundai cover I shaved the lower letters to half there height. I then shaved the rings around the spark plug holes to allow hood clearance for my ACCEL coils. Then I sculpted the MITSUBISHI lettering and Diamond Star from aluminum stock. I then aligned the letters and soldered them to the cover. Then a 3 color powder coat.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Unfortunately this is the third white cover I have tried and heat seems to yellow them. I tried high temp clear paint and two different types of powder coating and they all have turned yellow after time and the white contrasts greatly with the coils. I believe I will strip it and go gloss black this time.

Mike

P.S. I plan on Ceramic coating my heet shield soon.

You really did the Diamond Star symbol and "MITSUBISHI" yourself?! That must have taken some patience. Very impressive work.:thumb:

What did you use to sculpt the letters?

You definitely have a very unique looking engine bay. Can't say I've ever seen a TMIC on a DSM.

Strong work.:)

Looks pretty good I must say. Why go through all that work though? What are your intake temps with having the TMIC opposed to a SMIC or FMIC? IF they are turning yellow and you are just using a high temp clear, that may be your problel. Use the high temp colors and clear as well. Do you notice the powder coat cracking or staying sticky?

@Romeen
The Mitsubishi RVR actually utilizes a TMIC setup with their 4g. I got a full "JDM" long block minus the transmission and it came with the TMIC setup.

Oh wow that looks sweet :thumb: If you want to sell one of those slightly discolored ones pm me ;)

edit: maybe not

Last edited:
Any pics of the car with the hood down and the tmic? I would like to see what it looks like with that.:hellyeah:

Not to sound like a broken record, but that is sick! I love the TMIC too. I think i speak for everyone here when i say that we need more pics of your car!

As neat as it looks, the TMIC isn't very efficent at cooling. Heat rises folks so after sitting at a light, the intake temps are rising from the engine heat leaving through the TMIC. Clean none-the-less but good for performance.

You had a white VC in one of the later pics, did that one turn yellow as well? I still think it's the brand of powder coat you are using. It is high temp powder and you are baking it properly after you spray right?

Subis have them from factory, I'd say it works just about the same as the stock sidemount. When parked you don't need cooler air so it won't matter if it gets a hot. I'm sure once rolling the air will cool It off rather quickly.

I think if you painted the valve cover black and the lettering white, it would work out better.

Subis have them from factory, I'd say it works just about the same as the stock sidemount. When parked you don't need cooler air so it won't matter if it gets a hot. I'm sure once rolling the air will cool It off rather quickly.

I think if you painted the valve cover black and the lettering white, it would work out better.

Scoobies have a TMIC because that's the only place they can fit one in their tight engine bay. I agree though as you don't need it to be cool while sitting, however, it'll take longer to cool off the IC after the heatsoaking from idleing. I know it works, but just how efficently it works is the main question at hand.

As neat as it looks, the TMIC isn't very efficent at cooling. Heat rises folks so after sitting at a light, the intake temps are rising from the engine heat leaving through the TMIC. Clean none-the-less but good for performance.

You had a white VC in one of the later pics, did that one turn yellow as well? I still think it's the brand of powder coat you are using. It is high temp powder and you are baking it properly after you spray right?

I suggest you read into how he has the TMIC setup.

You really did the Diamond Star symbol and "MITSUBISHI" yourself?! That must have taken some patience. Very impressive work.:thumb:

What did you use to sculpt the letters?

You definitely have a very unique looking engine bay. Can't say I've ever seen a TMIC on a DSM.

Strong work.:)

no that is a JDM valve cover they cost a lot and are hard to find i bought one once and have only seen them a few times on ebay. :hellyeah:

I suggest you read into how he has the TMIC setup.

I'd like to know honestly, but I don't know where I would find that information. I was just stating the information I know about TMICs. I know if you have a pull fan on the bottom, that will help out as well. If you can get me a link to his IC idea I would appreciate it :thumb:

He has a fan attached to the bottom of his ic, so at stops/etc air is always moving. Also, you can tell that its a Hyundai lettering on the bottom that he ground down to make it look like a Mitsu one, and added the Diamond Star and Mitsubishi....

Wow man very nice valve cover. I just finished shaving mine and that took me like 3hrs to do. I thought i was patient, but no where close to your level. Love the attention to detail. Awsome!!!

Really interested to see flow numbers (or IAT differences at speed) of air through that TMIC setup at 40+ mph where the airflow over the hood causes a "bubble". Just want to see some comparative cooling numbers of it vs a FMIC, and why you went that route.

Where did you get the hood scoop? or did you make it? IDK if I want the tmic but i deffinitly want the hood scoop. I cant help myselfWTF I just love hood scoops, I am gona stick with a fmic but I could make an air intake with that, if you don't mind?

Can't say I've ever seen a TMIC on a DSM.

@Romeen
The Mitsubishi RVR actually utilizes a TMIC setup with their 4g. I got a full "JDM" long block minus the transmission and it came with the TMIC setup.

Yeah, but the RVR is not a DSM.;) Nonetheless, I didn't know that the RVR (or any Mitsubishi) used a TMIC. That's interesting to know.:thumb::) It looks like there would be a lot less IC plumbing with a top mount(?)

no that is a JDM valve cover they cost a lot and are hard to find i bought one once and have only seen them a few times on ebay. :hellyeah:

I know, that's what I currently have on my imported 6 bolt motor.;):)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back