The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

J- Spec Cyclone 4g63 N/A Vs. J-Spec Cyclone 4g63 Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsm-jdm

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 8, 2003
FloridaUS
Im in the market for a Japenese cyclone 4g63.....My issue is whats the better choice? Purchasing a J-Spec 4g63 Turbo for about $1300 (complete engine) which when arriving will have turbo mods, like a swtich out to stage two, added prior to installation....Or buying a J-Spec 4g63 N/A for approx $700 (complete)....which will have the same turbo mod done.....Naturally i would assume everyone would agree with purchasing the none turbo cause it will save me money, which is true. So with that in mind, i have another question.....Is there a significate difference in engine quality and inner components between the two? Is one better tunned for turbo than the other one or are they the exact same in engine parts and durability with just one lacking the boost?

I wanna know how you're going to fit a 4G63 in your 2G N/T without major, major modifications and without a tranny.

Unless I'm making assumptions, which I tend to do.

Barring that little hiccup, have you even researched the difference between naturally aspirated and turbocharged motors? Hmmm... Let's see.. I'm willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that the compression ratio of the N/T is a great deal higher, unless they have some sort of super slug motor...

The oil squirters on the crank, the camshafts, etc.

I suggest you research a lot more.

Well, aside from the obvious of compression ratios between N/a versus turbo......Im referring to engine capability....Compression can be changed in any engine....If i wished i can dump a turbo into my 420a...All i would need is my turbo kit and a drop in my enigne's compression....Now just cause i dropped my Compression in my engine does not make it better than when it was stock...Nothing's change with my Engine parts and quality.....All its done is prepped it for turbo....

Btw...what i mean by the word "complete" after both engine references is engine, tranny, and turbo...everything under the hood minus motor mounts (which i can aquire elsewhere) & J- Spec ECU which i found and can order easily....don't worry about how im going to put it in....Just me help figure which engine is the better choice in the long run when it comes to money and reliability....

well first of all ... the 4g63t (turbo) will have stonger internals (ie. rods, pistons, ect...) that are capable of handleing moderate boost levels safely and high boost levels with more mods. the cam specs will be different as will the gear ratios of the tranny. the 4g63 n/t has a stronger block but lacks oil cooling jets and has weaker rods and pistons. you can turbo this engine as is but you would only be able to run like 3 to 4psi safely. anything more WILL melt pistons. jdm n/t 4g63s are rated at 180hp or so though. it really depends on what you goals are. if you plan to turbo then get the turbo engine from the start ... if you just want a 4g63 and never plan to turbo then go with the n/t. i started dsms with a 92 gs n/t. i looked into turboing it but it was just to much time and money. i have gone through 2 tsi fwds and now have my 92 gs and a 90 tsi awd that i am probably going to order a jdm engine for.

Originally posted by dsm-jdm
Btw...what i mean by the word "complete" after both engine references is engine, tranny, and turbo...everything under the hood minus motor mounts (which i can aquire elsewhere) & J- Spec ECU which i found and can order easily....don't worry about how im going to put it in....Just me help figure which engine is the better choice in the long run when it comes to money and reliability....

:rolleyes:

You need a complete GST front clip as well as a 2G Turbo ECU, not the JDM crap.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back