The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Rtv oil cooler line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil corb

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Woodbridge, Virginia
I have a extremepsi push lock external oil cooler and since day one the metal washer that comes with the kit sucks and oil has leaked from where the fittings bolts on to oil filter housing and where the line screws into fitting. Yesterday I replaced the washer with oem evo crush washers for their oil cooler and I put a very little rtv on threads where oil lines screw in. I have a slight leak where the lines screw on now.

Question i have is if it's bad to add some more rtv on the threads where lines bolt to fittings? Would I worry about rtv getting in oil and ruining engine?

You don't have to worry about it damaging your engine because I doubt itll make it out of your turbo. What you do have to worry about is it clogging your oil feed supply to the turbo. That will ruin the turbo do to lack of lubrication.

You don't have to worry about it damaging your engine because I doubt itll make it out of your turbo. What you do have to worry about is it clogging your oil feed supply to the turbo. That will ruin the turbo do to lack of lubrication.

This isn't the turbo line but external oil cooler. Would rtv make it into oil stream?

I know some people including myself use a thread lube/sealer on -AN lines. The machined flanges mate and should not leak regardless. Check for debris or damage interfering with the sealing area.

I know some people including myself use a thread lube/sealer on -AN lines. The machined flanges mate and should not leak regardless. Check for debris or damage interfering with the sealing area.

I haven't notice anymore leaks so maybe it was some residue from when I removed the lines initially. Worse comes to worse I'll just add some rtv on the threads. I am now tracking down while my less than 10k miles mishimoto lower coolant hose is ripped and leaking.

thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back