The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coolant has slight discoloring (pic)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikTande

Supporting Member
Dec 17, 2012
Centennial, Colorado
I've been having some temp issues (nothing serious, but hotter than I'd like (210-215 even in cool weather). A few weeks ago I did a full coolant flush and put about a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water back in. I also replaced the thermostat.

I did the flush to make sure that wasn't the issue, and it wasn't, I'm still running the same temps. So I picked up a used Mishimoto dual core, and I'm installing that now.

I just drained the coolant, and this is what it looks like. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it has a very slight brown discoloring to it. It's only a three weeks old.

Should I worry about this? I probably shouldn't re-use it, right?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

How old is the radiator? When you flushed it, how did the coolant look? Could possibly be a rusted radiator and your seeing the rust in the coolant.

Yeah, I definitely won't re-use it.

How old is the radiator? When you flushed it, how did the coolant look? Could possibly be a rusted radiator and your seeing the rust in the coolant.

I don't recall. I didn't pay too much attention to the color when I was flushing it, I probably should have.

I've only had the car for just over a year, I'm not sure how old the radiator is. That's a good point though, I had a 91 GSX in 2005 that the connector at the top completely disintegrated it was so rusty.

I'll post some pics of this radiator when I have it out.

Honestly I would run some hot water through it and check the color as the water is leaving. Truly sounds like a rust issue. Would explain the color and "higher than normal" temps.

Some of the fins have some surface rust on the outside, but it looks in pretty good shape. I flushed it with a gallon of hot water, by the end it was coming out pretty much clear.

*EDIT*

I just noticed my pan that I caught the the drained coolant has a bit of grime in it, and it was spotless when I started. I'm wondering if it wasn't some of the coolant hitting the dirty undercarriage before it hit the pan, washing in some grime.

I just realized I had coolant left in my coolant overflow, and that's perfectly clean. :thumb: It must have been the coolant hitting the dirty car before it made it to my pan.

I used a little bit of RTV on the threads of the sensor when I replaced my radiator. I'm sure Teflon tape would do the job too.

I'm never a fan of Teflon tape, too easy for a piece to find its way loose. I used a VERY small amount of RTV then gave it an hour to dry before adding fluid. Granted mine was for an "extra" drain that had to be blocked off

FYI there's no steel in modern radiators. It's either aluminum or copper. That brown discoloration you see in old coolant is caramelized coolant. Antifreeze is essentially a sugar, hence it's sweet taste, and sugar exposed to heat turns brown. The only time I see rust color from the cooling system is from prolonged use of water in an iron block. That stuff is just nasty.

Last time I did a flush on my Laser (and shortly after I bought it with the coolant looking like that dirty green):

Took the radiator out and pressure flushed it out with a nozzle on a garden hose - both the inlet and the outlet. One should have seen the sediments that I flushed out of the bottom of the radiator. I flushed it out completely where I had clear water going in and out in both openings.

Took the "T-stat" out and flushed out the block using the same pressure flush task. More sediment came out of that block. I flushed it out for the duration of a good 15 minutes where clear water was going out the lower radiator hose, and when I reversed the flow by shooting water in the lower hose, I had clear water coming out of the fluid fill.

Put it all back together, with new T-stat, gasket and cap. Filled with 50/50 mix, checked levels in both radiator (one fills the coolant fill to the lower inside lip and fill the overflow to the "Full" line.

Fluid has since remained clean looking when I remove the radiator cap.

This was three years ago when I did this. This summer is the time to do the pressure flush again.

-DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back