The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Which head gasket for O-ringed block?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catbox_95

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 24, 2004
Conroe, Texas
I've searched the forums on head gaskets but can't seem to find a straight answer on what is the best head gasket to go with if you have an O-ringed block. The engine specifications that matter are:

7-bolt, 10.5:1 compression, 40-50 psi, O-ringed block.

Don't use a mls with a stainless oringed block. The best way to run a stainless ringed block is a copper gasket, and receiver groove in the head. Although many, including myself, have had great success with a felpro composite gasket and non receiver grooved head, with a stainless oring block.

Hmm funny cause im running, and on my new engine I will be running an MLS with SS wire in the block.

Now why wont this work??

One thing I would suggest is that if you do run the O-ring in the block, that you should definitely use a torque plate to hone the cylinders.

I was about to make a thread asking about this I'm glad I looked 1st. I see a lot info back asking me forth copper vs stainless. What's the better of the 2? I would assume ss wire but since it does not crush down won't that hurt the head?

Not if its sunk down enough.

What protrusion do you run? I was running about .010" protrusion stainless, with a composite gasket. I recently had a head milled that I was running on an o-ringed block. It had grooves in it .003"-.005" according to the machinist. So the rings were sealed solid. They made their own receiver groove.

I have run copper before, but they constantly leak coolant. Not really good for a street car.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back