The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

98 4g64 into 97 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmaz

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2012
Bullhead City, Arizona
Just like the title says 98 spyder 4g64 engine swap into my 97 auto gst. the reason im doing this swap is because i bought a 97 gst. when i changed the oil i realized there was a crap load of metal shavings in the oil:notgood:which developed into a rod knock LOL. so long story short i found a guy selling a 64 longblock so i bought it.
i will be using the 63 head and yes i know the timing will b a lil off and need to either get adjustable gears or advance the marks half a tooth. from what i gather its pretty much bolt and go with a couple alterations. I am also doing a 5spd conv. and have all necessary parts.

please let me know any and all info you guys may have on doin this swap most of the stuff i researched is bs but have found many helpful links like this>>> http://www.projectzerog.com/sirius_engines.shtml

the first problem i ran into was a piece that was pressed into the center of the crank on the flywheel side. It would not let me put my mt flywheel on because the motor was pulled from an auto but it was an easy trip to the local machine shop and they pulled it out for a total of $20. well it wasnt really that big of a problem but just a lil speed bump. ill have pics up soon. Tomorrow ill have it back and then on with the show LOL

If using a 63 head, the comp ratio will be close to 11:1, so without a tune, it won't run right. And you won't be able to turbo it. Plus you will need a 94 gallant 2.4 dohc tbelt. To turbo it, you need the 64/63 hybrid pistons, or the sohc 4g64 head. Either way, you need engine management.

I got my 4g64 with 4g63 head pistons, sent my ecu off to ecmtuning so that should be coming some time soon.:thumb: I also picked up a set of evo 510cc injectors. Right now im in the middle of swapping my car from auto to manual. I have everything to do it. Currently i have all interior out cause it was trashed:nono:but i have super clean interior for it. who ever owned my car before me did a hack job of installing an alarm so i removed that crap LOL. Today i will drill the Holes for the clutch master and then i will install pedals and shifter.:cool:

Attachments

• 4g63.jpg
    4g63.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 195
  • auto harness.jpg
    auto harness.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 103
  • engine bay.jpg
    engine bay.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 115
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 105
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 96
  • pistons.jpg
    pistons.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 111
ive always liked the 4g64. you might check out club3g. its a 3rd gen eclipse site but they do a LOT with the 4g64 as its one of the optional motors in a 3rd gen. its a little different then this block but the head swap and piston info and timing info would all still apply to your build.

I got my eagle rods in. and btw im using 6 bolt pistons and rods. Before i here someone say it cant be done or something. I got them for a deal and Yes it can be done i had the rods machined to clearences that match the haynes manual. I had the block bored and hot tanked and all that jazz. Now im just waiting for the final assembly. Im just waiting to get rings which i already ordered just waiting for them to come in. I should have the block ready to go by the end of the week and ill post pics

Nice..... Now, on a selfish note: can i borrow some of your motivation? haha. Just took my dsm out for the first time in 6 months. Hadnt even started it for at least 4.

Anway, keep up the work bud its lookin good. You really are getting in to it. Gonna have a torque monster when its all done with!

Nice..... Now, on a selfish note: can i borrow some of your motivation? haha. Just took my dsm out for the first time in 6 months. Hadnt even started it for at least 4.

Anway, keep up the work bud its lookin good. You really are getting in to it. Gonna have a torque monster when its all done with!

LOL thanks man im just a car guy who loves cars and sure you can borrow some as long as i get it bak LOL:p I cant wait for that torq LOL i just want it done already so i can post some vids and run some hondas LOL

have fun breaking parts from mad torque

o will have fun:thumb: but hopefully i dont break anything cause that would suk of course

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back