Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Bolt-on Tech: 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 12:41 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 1,585
Photos: 12
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 38

bpr9es vs br9es

has anyone ran the br9es ngk plugs i did do some research and found the the "P" just means projected and apperently makes it just a little bit longer. if you hold them side by side you can hardly tell one is longer.

i mistakenly bought them without realizing it just wondering if anyone else has run them

thanks

Visit black_gst's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,585
Photos: 20
Classifieds Rating: 136
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
I have ran BR7ES plugs and they're just fine. I was recommended to run these by my friend with a fast, high hp 2g.

Throttle body rebuild kits
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 5,877
Photos: 11
Classified Ads: 2
Classifieds Rating: 51
Send a message via AIM to Calan Send a message via Yahoo to Calan
I've found no noticable difference in the way my car runs with projected and non-projected NGK's.

EDIT:

There may be some issues with longevity between one or the other depending on the engine, but I think most of us change plugs often enough that it wouldn't be an issue regardless.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

cool thanks for the quick responses these non projected ngk's seem easier to get ahold of localy so i guess i will stick with with... and also i guess that just lowered my compression a hair lol jk

Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 430
Classifieds Rating: 2
the non-projected tip is not suppose to melt as fast. also I have had very good luck with br8eg. they like boost.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

BTW - Why are you running 9's? That's a pretty cold plug.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
BTW - Why are you running 9's? That's a pretty cold plug.
a friend of mine is running them with good results and hes boosting 27psi and i am planing to boost atleast 25psi as soon as i install my 255 and im gonna shoot for 30 on race gas

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 8,630
Photos: 68
Classifieds Rating: 132
9's are very cold. I run 40 psi on 8's and have zero issues. For a 20G at 30 psi, you'll be just fine with 7's.

I'll agree with Calan's post above. I noticed no difference in performance with projected tip VS. non-projected tip. The only difference that I noticed is the non-projected plugs didn't seem to last as long. But then again, my car normally eats plugs pretty frequently.

The Original 1G Chromoly Crossmember
Visit 99gst_racer's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-23-2010, 10:13 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1947 Dodge Pickup
Tech Posts: 887
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: biglady112 is extremely helpful and trustworthybiglady112 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
The non-projected tip is also oriented around forced induction cars. It helps shield the spark from spark blow out. We were able two cure a blow out issue with one or two dsms just by switching plugs. I have been running BR8ES's for six years with no issues. With E85, high altitude and low compression, my car starts like crap(we have to use started fluid now this winter), but once running runs well and stays cool.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

i always have a hard time finding 7's and i was gonna get 8's but they didnt have them.. all they had were 9's so i got them... if they foul out ill try and get 7' or 8's... someone correct me if im mistaken but the only thing that can happen if you run too cold of a plug is that it will foul out correct? atleast thats what i read.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_gst View Post
i always have a hard time finding 7's and i was gonna get 8's but they didnt have them.. all they had were 9's so i got them... if they foul out ill try and get 7' or 8's... someone correct me if im mistaken but the only thing that can happen if you run too cold of a plug is that it will foul out correct? atleast thats what i read.
Yep...if the plug tip runs too cold, there isn't enough heat to keep the crud burned off of it.

It depends on several things, like cylinder pressure, type of fuel, plug gap, ignition condition, etc. The colder the plug, the more the cylinder temperatures will be reduced due to the plug's ability to transfer heat away from the spark plug tip.

Aside from the fouling issue, I would think that you could eventually get to a point where you also need more latent heat for certain fuels....but this is just a guess. We are normally always in search of cooler charges and slower burns, but I'm not sure at which point enough is enough...if that point even exists.

Try them and see how it runs. You're only out $5 and 5 minutes to swap to something hotter if needed.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Quote:
Yep...if the plug tip runs too cold, there isn't enough heat to keep the crud burned off of it.

It depends on several things, like cylinder pressure, type of fuel, plug gap, ignition condition, etc. The colder the plug, the more the cylinder temperatures will be reduced due to the plug's ability to transfer heat away from the spark plug tip.

Aside from the fouling issue, I would think that you could eventually get to a point where you also need more latent heat for certain fuels....but this is just a guess. We are normally always in search of cooler charges and slower burns, but I'm not sure at which point enough is enough...if that point even exists.

Try them and see how it runs. You're only out $5 and 5 minutes to swap to something hotter if needed.
yeah well $10, $2.50 a pop lol

also with a colder plug can you increase gap?

and ill pull the plugs in 500 miles or so and see how they look and post pics

Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
yeah well $10, $2.50 a pop lol
Ok.. I thought $5 sounded a little low but it's been a while since I bought plugs.

If anything, you'll want to go with a slightly smaller gap if you plan on running upwards of 30 psi. At that boost level and beyond, spark blowout can start to become an issue...so a solid ignition system is also a must.

I was actually having some blowout issues at 25 psi, but I also had weak ignition coils. Going to .025" gap seemed to help some, but once I changed the coils it was fine when I went back to .028".

I'm kind of curious now to test out BigLady's results with the non-projected tips helping with blowout. Seems logical and obviously worked for them.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

well on my old gst had will almost the same setup i now have in my talon i was boostin 25 with bp7es's and never had blow out issues but i always gapped to .028 so i guess ill stick with the .028.

eventually i would like to go COP with an ARC box but thats $500-$600 that im not ready to spend yet lol.

Last edited by black_gst; 02-24-2010 at 09:02 AM.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Quote:
eventually i would like to go COP with an ARC box but thats $500-$600 that im not ready to spend yet lol.
Most of the reputable peeps will tell you to stay with stock ignition over the COP setup. I haven't tried a COP setup myself, but I've heard plenty of people who are making good power say that it just isn't worth it. You might want to research it a bit more before spending that $500 when you get it.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 721
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: BigBeans is extremely helpful and trustworthyBigBeans is extremely helpful and trustworthyBigBeans is extremely helpful and trustworthy
My car is slightly more resistant to detonation with non-projected plugs.

BR7 on the left, BPR7 on the right

92 TSI AWD- 30R @ 30psi on 93 octane (SOLD)

Old 02-23-2010, 02:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

^great pic

Quote:
Most of the reputable peeps will tell you to stay with stock ignition over the COP setup. I haven't tried a COP setup myself, but I've heard plenty of people who are making good power say that it just isn't worth it. You might want to research it a bit more before spending that $500 when you get it.
yeah i wouldent even do it unless i had a problem... but everything i had read said that a COP is a downgrade without an ARC box

Last edited by black_gst; 02-24-2010 at 11:27 AM.