The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

bpr9es vs br9es

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_gst

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2008
IE, California
has anyone ran the br9es ngk plugs i did do some research and found the the "P" just means projected and apperently makes it just a little bit longer. if you hold them side by side you can hardly tell one is longer.

i mistakenly bought them without realizing it just wondering if anyone else has run them

thanks

cool thanks for the quick responses these non projected ngk's seem easier to get ahold of localy so i guess i will stick with with... and also i guess that just lowered my compression a hair LOL jk

the non-projected tip is not suppose to melt as fast. also I have had very good luck with br8eg. they like boost.

BTW - Why are you running 9's? That's a pretty cold plug.

a friend of mine is running them with good results and hes boosting 27psi and i am planing to boost atleast 25psi as soon as i install my 255 and im gonna shoot for 30 on race gas

9's are very cold. I run 40 psi on 8's and have zero issues. For a 20G at 30 psi, you'll be just fine with 7's.

I'll agree with Calan's post above. I noticed no difference in performance with projected tip VS. non-projected tip. The only difference that I noticed is the non-projected plugs didn't seem to last as long. But then again, my car normally eats plugs pretty frequently.

The non-projected tip is also oriented around forced induction cars. It helps shield the spark from spark blow out. We were able two cure a blow out issue with one or two dsms just by switching plugs. I have been running BR8ES's for six years with no issues. With E85, high altitude and low compression, my car starts like crap(we have to use started fluid now this winter), but once running runs well and stays cool.

i always have a hard time finding 7's and i was gonna get 8's but they didnt have them.. all they had were 9's so i got them... if they foul out ill try and get 7' or 8's... someone correct me if im mistaken but the only thing that can happen if you run too cold of a plug is that it will foul out correct? atleast thats what i read.

i always have a hard time finding 7's and i was gonna get 8's but they didnt have them.. all they had were 9's so i got them... if they foul out ill try and get 7' or 8's... someone correct me if im mistaken but the only thing that can happen if you run too cold of a plug is that it will foul out correct? atleast thats what i read.

Yep...if the plug tip runs too cold, there isn't enough heat to keep the crud burned off of it.

It depends on several things, like cylinder pressure, type of fuel, plug gap, ignition condition, etc. The colder the plug, the more the cylinder temperatures will be reduced due to the plug's ability to transfer heat away from the spark plug tip.

Aside from the fouling issue, I would think that you could eventually get to a point where you also need more latent heat for certain fuels....but this is just a guess. We are normally always in search of cooler charges and slower burns, but I'm not sure at which point enough is enough...if that point even exists.

Try them and see how it runs. You're only out $5 and 5 minutes to swap to something hotter if needed. :)

Yep...if the plug tip runs too cold, there isn't enough heat to keep the crud burned off of it.

It depends on several things, like cylinder pressure, type of fuel, plug gap, ignition condition, etc. The colder the plug, the more the cylinder temperatures will be reduced due to the plug's ability to transfer heat away from the spark plug tip.

Aside from the fouling issue, I would think that you could eventually get to a point where you also need more latent heat for certain fuels....but this is just a guess. We are normally always in search of cooler charges and slower burns, but I'm not sure at which point enough is enough...if that point even exists.

Try them and see how it runs. You're only out $5 and 5 minutes to swap to something hotter if needed. :)

yeah well $10, $2.50 a pop LOL

also with a colder plug can you increase gap?

and ill pull the plugs in 500 miles or so and see how they look and post pics

yeah well $10, $2.50 a pop LOL

Ok.. I thought $5 sounded a little low but it's been a while since I bought plugs. :D

If anything, you'll want to go with a slightly smaller gap if you plan on running upwards of 30 psi. At that boost level and beyond, spark blowout can start to become an issue...so a solid ignition system is also a must.

I was actually having some blowout issues at 25 psi, but I also had weak ignition coils. Going to .025" gap seemed to help some, but once I changed the coils it was fine when I went back to .028".

I'm kind of curious now to test out BigLady's results with the non-projected tips helping with blowout. Seems logical and obviously worked for them. :)

well on my old gst had will almost the same setup i now have in my talon i was boostin 25 with bp7es's and never had blow out issues but i always gapped to .028 so i guess ill stick with the .028.

eventually i would like to go COP with an ARC box but thats $500-$600 that im not ready to spend yet LOL.

Last edited:
eventually i would like to go COP with an ARC box but thats $500-$600 that im not ready to spend yet LOL.

Most of the reputable peeps will tell you to stay with stock ignition over the COP setup. I haven't tried a COP setup myself, but I've heard plenty of people who are making good power say that it just isn't worth it. You might want to research it a bit more before spending that $500 when you get it. :)

My car is slightly more resistant to detonation with non-projected plugs.

BR7 on the left, BPR7 on the right

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

^great pic

Most of the reputable peeps will tell you to stay with stock ignition over the COP setup. I haven't tried a COP setup myself, but I've heard plenty of people who are making good power say that it just isn't worth it. You might want to research it a bit more before spending that $500 when you get it. :)

yeah i wouldent even do it unless i had a problem... but everything i had read said that a COP is a downgrade without an ARC box

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back