The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

CFM Per HP

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsicfy

Probationary Member
May 18, 2004
fort collins, Colorado
Does any one here know a mathmatical formula to convert the cfm flow of somthing into how much HP it will support? Like if it were to flow 600 cfm and support 600 hp.

That's a good question. Sorry I don't know the answer. Hopefully someone does :)

Unfortunately, CFM is meaningless unless it is standardized. You need to know the mass of the air, since that determines the mass/weight of the fuel you can burn (air:fuel is a mass/weight ratio). Thats why it drives me nuts when turbos or compressor maps are rated in CFM. If you can find out in Lbs/min (which is becoming much more popular thee days) you can get an idea. As a general rule of thumb, every lb/min of air is good for 10 HP. Now, several factors affect this, mainly how efficiently you use that air. AFR, timing advance, etc. Its fairly accurate on well tuned cars.

Edit> If you know the temperature and pressure, you can convert CFM to lbs/min by the way. The formulas are out there on the internet I'm sure.

I found that an average 1.5 cfm is flowen for every 1 HP

loreak said:
divide cfm by 14.7 and that is lb/min

I hope you're joking....

95GSXRacer said:
Edit> If you know the temperature and pressure, you can convert CFM to lbs/min by the way. The formulas are out there on the internet I'm sure.

Like he said, you need temperature and pressure to convert.

To get you into the ballpark (engine efficiency and temps have an influence also), but take CFM x .069 = estimated lbs./min
lbs./min x 10 = estimated HP

There is some great information in that thread, thanks doug! Good job setting this up for the archives and such!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back