Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Bolt-on Tech: 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 10:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #21 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 7
Classifieds Rating: 0
Check out ls1.com ls1tech.com camaroz28.com .

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #22 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 20
Im a member over at ls1tech.com and Ive already learned a ton from those guys. Reason I came here is because I thought I might get another point of view from you DSM owners. Ive already discussed why I dont want to go s/c, mostly because of the relative price difference, around 6K. Also, I dont really care how long this takes me as this car is soon to be my project/hobby car anyway. If it ends up sitting in a garage for the entire winter in pieces thats fine, it sits in the garage fully assembled all winter already as it is. Turbocharging seems to be growing in popularity among LS1 owners and there are more and more kits being developed every few months, but I'd still rather attempt doing it myself. If it comes to be that I simply cant do it or its out of my budget, then I'll scrap the idea, sell the parts, and keep the car stock.

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I enjoy ice cream and a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me I have an I.Q. of 48 and that I am what most people consider mentally retarded.[/font]

Old 08-18-2004, 11:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #23 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 88
Classifieds Rating: 13
if i were u, i would go with a single turbo set up, but if u do go twin, deffinitly dont do sequencial, just my oppinion, but i got to run, were dropping a 3in exhaust on my friends starion
Visit awddsm95's homepage! 

Old 08-18-2004, 12:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #24 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 49
check this site out!

http://turbomustangs.com/forums/foru...php?forumid=20

Old 08-20-2004, 11:37 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #25 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 3,702
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: 1fast97gsx is extremely helpful and trustworthy1fast97gsx is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to 1fast97gsx
yea I think I'd just go with 1 big turbo as well. I don't really know what to help you with but definitly invest in a turbo cam if you are going turbo. Keep us posted as I am very interested in what happens with this as well.

1997 GSX
View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-20-2004, 12:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #26 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 52
here is a link to banksturbo's...they might have a kit that works for ya. give them call or email if you don't see what they want.
http://www.bankspower.com/high-performance.cfm?source=overture&kw="chevy+twin+turbo+kit"

Old 08-20-2004, 05:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #27 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 178
1.32 A/R housings are way too big for twins.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:17 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #28 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 11
Send a message via AIM to Bandit
i dont know if it'll be much help, but there's a local guy around here running a single turbo on his firebird...here's the site...im sure you can talk to him(if you havent already)

http://home.comcast.net/~deezuns/

Old 08-20-2004, 07:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #29 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 920
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 8
Reputation: gsxtacy is extremely helpful and trustworthygsxtacy is extremely helpful and trustworthygsxtacy is extremely helpful and trustworthy

This looks real good.

I found this at a site I check out every once in awhile.

http://amarilloracers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2373

hope the link works.

gsxtacy

Old 08-21-2004, 09:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #30 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalon
1.32 A/R housings are way too big for twins.
this is my only concern to be honest. :thumbdown I'm thinking Im gonna skip out on the 1.31 and go for something in the .80-1.00 range.

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I enjoy ice cream and a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me I have an I.Q. of 48 and that I am what most people consider mentally retarded.[/font]

Old 08-21-2004, 09:21 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #31 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
i dont know if it'll be much help, but there's a local guy around here running a single turbo on his firebird...here's the site...im sure you can talk to him(if you havent already)

http://home.comcast.net/~deezuns/
never talked to him but seen the car and the site. have a video of him racing a fox body stang and he runs a 10.52 I believe with a 1.8 60'. the turbo sounds NASTY as he goes by the cameraman

just to let everyone know Im not lookin to have a 700+ rwhp daily driver like him. Id be happy with 450-500, thats my goal.

Old 08-21-2004, 09:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #32 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxtacy
I found this at a site I check out every once in awhile.

http://amarilloracers.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2373

hope the link works.

gsxtacy
oh man, this makes me drool ever time I see it. I saw this one a couple months back and I wanted to sell everything I owned just so I could have that setup. too bad that engine and turbo probably cost MORE than everything I own (well, minus the car )

Old 08-21-2004, 09:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #33 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Ball WS6
this is my only concern to be honest. :thumbdown I'm thinking Im gonna skip out on the 1.31 and go for something in the .80-1.00 range.
Try like .68 range. Running twin 60-1 HiFi's (good for about 1000 RWHP total, pretty similar to a 57 or 60 trim TO4E) on a buddies 347 mustang with .81 housings we wern't seeing 14 pounds of boost till nearly 5000 RPM's. With the .96 housings it was past 5000 RPM's, too much for a street car.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #34 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalon
Try like .68 range. Running twin 60-1 HiFi's (good for about 1000 RWHP total, pretty similar to a 57 or 60 trim TO4E) on a buddies 347 mustang with .81 housings we wern't seeing 14 pounds of boost till nearly 5000 RPM's. With the .96 housings it was past 5000 RPM's, too much for a street car.
well, in that case, since I'm only gonna run 7-8 psi, I assume it wouldnt be nearly as bad as your friend's car. However, I still agree that it's too large.

I did forget which turbos I originally said I was going to go with. I've changed my mind since then. The new combo is:

Twin T04B90's, .60/.96, 54 mm

I've checked the compressor maps and I should see 7 psi by 3200-3300 RPM. Now whether the .96 turbine will support that...it may be close, what do you think?

Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #35 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 654
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 2
Send a message via ICQ to BoostinAWD Send a message via AIM to BoostinAWD Send a message via MSN to BoostinAWD Send a message via Yahoo to BoostinAWD
Doing somethign similar myself.

Just put a 5.3L vortech from a 2002 silverado and stuck it into an 88 s10 blazer 4x4. Just got the tranny rebuilt to handle 650hp, and stuck an 8 1/2" rear end with LSD.

Gonna single turbo it, once the motor is broken in. Brand new only got 500miles on it.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #36 (permalink)
Proven Member

sounds bad ass!! Ive seen some pretty sick turbo trucks on the LS1tech forums and a few vids and DAMN I didnt know trucks could go that fast :eek:

what turbo you gonna use?

Old 08-22-2004, 12:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #37 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 16
i would say look into supercharging

small block power is great but running twin 70+ size turbos requires alot of flow to turn hence y most people are using a single turbo.

super charging would be less hassle as most kits are built for a direct bolt on fit.

super charging aslo for your car is a bit more ideal speaking of spool up times. v8s dont liek to be held at high rpms and spinning 2 big ass turbos up to that rpm is not going to be very easy nor practical

call up dryers blowers they can send you info about super charging that most people dont have such as flow rates at rpm, pully ratios, and prob set you in the right direction.

but for the turbo thing again careful as your only running a mild 350 size motor that does not flow nearly as much as a built big block 2 turbos i think would be not what your looking for a single would be aswesome tuned right but i think a blower, set right with correct pully sizing you will have boost from 1000 rpm till the motor blows.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #38 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by char
i would say look into supercharging

small block power is great but running twin 70+ size turbos requires alot of flow to turn hence y most people are using a single turbo.

super charging would be less hassle as most kits are built for a direct bolt on fit.

super charging aslo for your car is a bit more ideal speaking of spool up times. v8s dont liek to be held at high rpms and spinning 2 big ass turbos up to that rpm is not going to be very easy nor practical

call up dryers blowers they can send you info about super charging that most people dont have such as flow rates at rpm, pully ratios, and prob set you in the right direction.

but for the turbo thing again careful as your only running a mild 350 size motor that does not flow nearly as much as a built big block 2 turbos i think would be not what your looking for a single would be aswesome tuned right but i think a blower, set right with correct pully sizing you will have boost from 1000 rpm till the motor blows.
like Ive said a few times in this thread, Im not at all for s/c my car. too expensive and too common. LS1's are rev happy, and I know you may not believe that considering its a single cam pushrod engine. truth be told, there are several turbo LS1 guys out there making HUGE power, and the number of pre-fab kits on the market is steadily increasing. it is relatively new to our platform, but its a hell of a way to get some serious power.

also, when you say "two 70+ size turbos", are you talkin about the compressor wheel size?! ie 70+ mm? no way, thats not what Im running. if I were to go with a SINGLE turbo, Id go with the T76 most likely which has a 76 mm compressor. the two Im thinking of going with have a 54 mm wheel.

Old 08-22-2004, 01:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #39 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 103
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via AIM to eclipse_20g
I believe that until you source all the parts for this, fab up the parts that you are DIY'ing, hours of labor, running properly, tuning, and pushing the 500hp you are looking for, you are going to have more cash into this project than what you think is going into this. This is why all the pre-fab'd kits BREAK THE BANK! With sights of 500hp, TT just does not seem logical. But if you got the cash to blow, BLOW IT!!!! Keep us updated on how this goes.
Visit eclipse_20g's homepage! 

Old 08-22-2004, 08:26 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #40 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 16
i like your effort in turbo charging i hope it works out when its done fill us in on performance gains

btw i seen a notch back mustang 351 mild build run a single t76 to a 8.8 quarter. oh yeah im all about gmc products.