The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

resonator, pre-silencer, muffler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idt512

20+ Year Contributor
May 4, 2003
Hemet, California
whats the difference? Id like to quiet down my exhaust system, which one to go with? I have a 3" system with hi-flow cat and magnaflow muffler and id like to quiet down the humming during normal acceleration and idle

Muffler- I must believe you know what this is

Resonator - Basically its just a muffler before the muffler, it's straight through design packed with fiberglass or the sort to absorb some sound. Some people argue whether they really help or not

Pre-silencer - Don't think ive heard of PRE-silencer but i have heard of a silencer, which is basically something you can put on your muffler to help tone sound down a little more at the cost of hurting flow of course.

I really don't know how loud your exhaust is but it's never really going to be that quiet simply because its a 3" exhaust.

Hope that helps :thumb:

I'd go get a resonator welded in, at the local exhaust shop. I had one welded in because my exhaust was to loud and the resonator quieted it down quite a bit. Not all resonators have packing or whatever in them. Mine is straight through with little baffles on the walls.

idt512 said:
whats the difference? Id like to quiet down my exhaust system, which one to go with? I have a 3" system with hi-flow cat and magnaflow muffler and id like to quiet down the humming during normal acceleration and idle
I have a BR 3" cat back, welded a 3" resonator from Extreme motorsports. I'm guessing that it reduced the sound by around 5db. For me it's worth it, since I drive it 50 miles everyday to work. ;)

resonator helped my high load/rpm noise, but didn't really change idle.

Mike1992 said:
I'd go get a resonator welded in, at the local exhaust shop. I had one welded in because my exhaust was to loud and the resonator quieted it down quite a bit. Not all resonators have packing or whatever in them. Mine is straight through with little baffles on the walls.

That's the worst possible style you can use. They flow as much as a 2.25" pipe.

You want a perforated core, not louvered.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back