The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G HOW TO Modify Stock 2G Front A-arms for MAXIMUM Negative Camber

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modifying Stock 2G Front A-Arms for MAXIMUM Negative Camber

Parts / Skills Required

2x SPC 67170 (1.50* Adjustable Balljoint)
2x SPC 87460 (0.75* Adjustable Anchor Bushings) -- Optional​

Pressing
Cutting
Grinding
Welding​

Overview

This modification will take a pair of stock 2G Front Upper A-arms and clearance a small area around the SPC ball joint base to allow a full range of adjustment (roughly 20% more than an unmodified arm). The result is the capability to dial-in upwards of -3.5* camber in the front (possibly more), assuming a ride-height drop of 1.5".​

Side Notes

My current setup is using the modified A-arms and a pair of the SPC 67170 ball joints with a ride-height drop of 1.4". Camber is dialed-in at -2.9* with zero toe. I have found this to provide ample suspension travel with my spring rates (700#) and has leftover adjustment to go even more negative if desired. The SPC 87460 Adjustable Achor Bushings can also be used in addition to the Adjustable Balljoint for even more negative camber. Simply install the anchor bushings, set both to the full-negative position and forget about it. The rest of the adjustment will be done with the balljoint.​

Modification

The first step is to get the arms pulled, remove the old ball joints, and temporarily install the bottom Slide Plate to properly mark how much material needs to be trimmed away. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of this, but the process is quite simple and is detailed in the SPC 67170 install instructions (remove the dust boot, snap ring and press out the ball joint).

After the stock ball joint has been removed, follow the SPC instructions for installing the Slide Plate. Special attention needs to be given to the orientation that the Slide Plate is installed. If it installed in any other orientation other than perpendicular to the centerline of the vehicle, resultant caster and camber may be affected (i.e. Max negative camber may be affected, and static caster may be affected).

With the Slide Plate temporarily installed in the arm (see pic), install the ball joint through the slot with the offset away from the vehicle for negative camber change (reference SPC install instructions). Next, adjust the ball joint to the full negative position (toward the centerline of the vehicle) and take note how much more travel is needed for full adjustment by looking at the top-side of the balljoint where the spindle passes through the Slide Plate.​

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Right now the ball joint is limited in adjustement because the ball joint base contacts the underside of the A-arm before the ball joint top spindle contacts the edge of the Slide Plate.

Mark the underside of the A-arm in a smooth arc so enough material can be removed to allow the ball joint a full range of adjustment (see pic). Be sure to clearance a touch more to account for the thickness of the material that is to be welded back onto the arm for extra strength. This might not be needed, but I was not taking any chances . . . the stock a-arm had reinforcement there for a reason.​

Once both arms have been sufficiently clearanced (I used a dremel tool), press out the Slide Plate and get a reinforcement plate welded in (see pic). It's possible that the Slide Plate need not be removed, but I did because afterwards you should coat the new work with paint/powder to protect from rust.​

Attachments

• SPS-67170.jpg
    SPS-67170.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 333
  • SPC_87460.jpg
    SPC_87460.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,059
Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back