The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

My new bumper vents

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjm96gst

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2009
El Paso, Texas
Just got done cutting my bumper up. I've been having some cooling issues and decided to make some vents. It's helped with coolant temps no more heating up. Just wanted to get your thoughts on it. Try not to bash on them to much LOL Its still unfinished still wanting to put some type of rubber lining and maybe some mesh. Any ideas are welcomed.

Attachments

• ventpic1.JPG
    ventpic1.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 796
  • ventpic2.JPG
    ventpic2.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 720
It almost reminds me of a pontiac. I would get some real mesh to put in there vs the home depot mesh.

Edit: As for the rubber, if you can find some generic split weather strip that May work or you could carefully split some vacuum line.

The lines look somewhat off, maybe it's just the shape.

There is a build thread somewhere of a white 2g panda build, guy did a vent for the same reasons.

Made a custom talon badge pertruding out through the vent, after paint and all it looks pretty killer. I'll see if I can find it.

Im not gonna lie, it's hideous. I appreciate good craftsmanship and you did a great job, but it just doesn't work.
If you use the rubber trim, and maybe duct it, it will make it look better.
I won't bash only because it's functional ;)

The way I see it is if you are not having anymore heat issues, function over form right. If you end up not liking it, bumper covers can be found cheap on craigslist.

It almost reminds me of a pontiac. I would get some real mesh to put in there vs the home depot mesh.

Edit: As for the rubber, if you can find some generic split weather strip that May work or you could carefully split some vacuum line.

I'm going to get real mesh no worries. I want it to look at least half decent.

The lines look somewhat off, maybe it's just the shape.

There is a build thread somewhere of a white 2g panda build, guy did a vent for the same reasons.

Made a custom talon badge pertruding out through the vent, after paint and all it looks pretty killer. I'll see if I can find it.

Some of them are not perfect, its my first time doing this but with rubber it will look a lot cleaner.

Im not gonna lie, it's hideous. I appreciate good craftsmanship and you did a great job, but it just doesn't work.
If you use the rubber trim, and maybe duct it, it will make it look better.
I won't bash only because it's functional ;)

Thanks for the kind words :p I know not everyone will like it. I believe it looks decent at least and its functional.

The way I see it is if you are not having anymore heat issues, function over form right. If you end up not liking it, bumper covers can be found cheap on craigslist.

Thanks I appreciate it.. Took me a while to finally decide to hack into my bumper.

Function over form I say. I hacked into mine years ago. Like you said, use some rubber trim and mesh and that will tidy it up...

I like how yours came out looks similar to mine except a different angle next to mitsu sign

Thanks I appreciate it.. Took me a while to finally decide to hack into my bumper.

I know what you mean. I put some flush plus hood pins on my car and on the first one I had to dig deep into my nut sack to cut the hood LOL. After the first cut there was no going back so it was easy. I have something planned for my side skirts as well but haven't decided if I should get a spare set first or not.

I know what you mean. I put some flush plus hood pins on my car and on the first one I had to dig deep into my nut sack to cut the hood LOL. After the first cut there was no going back so it was easy. I have something planned for my side skirts as well but haven't decided if I should get a spare set first or not.

Ya its pretty tuff because once your start there is no going back. I'll post some pics once its all finished up. The edges should round out a bit with the rubber in place. For now I'm just glad I dont over heat. Still hasnt been tested in triple digit heat bit it will soon enough.

I'm not a fan of these. Not that your work is bad, I just have never liked the look. It might look better if you can find something to finish them off with. But right now they are too straight and sharp to flow with the look of the car. But at least they are functional.

I'm not a fan of these. Not that your work is bad, I just have never liked the look. It might look better if you can find something to finish them off with. But right now they are too straight and sharp to flow with the look of the car. But at least they are functional.

I personally would have liked to stay stock i'm not the one to add vents and body kits. I like the simple look of 2ga which is why I have one. I live in the middle of a desert so I had to hack it to keep temps down. The rubber will round out the edges. Im sure it will look a lot cleaner then.

Did you try any ducting work before you resorted to cutting the bumper? Many times placing ducting around the radiator to force any air that enters the grille through the radiator will help keep coolant temps down.

As long as it works... I like this a bit better for the 2ga bumper.

Attachments

• redbeast.jpg
    redbeast.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 408
As long as it works... I like this a bit better for the 2ga bumper.

Thats a bit too much for me and wouldnt help me much front mount goes up pretty high. Circles would be hard for me to cut out LOL had hard enough trying to keep lines straight.

Ive seen this thread before i got this design from a white 2gb looked clean.

Its similar to what I have. I think they make that air duct for 350z if I'm not mistaken.

Did you try any ducting work before you resorted to cutting the bumper? Many times placing ducting around the radiator to force any air that enters the grille through the radiator will help keep coolant temps down.

One of my vents is already routed to the intake. As for routing it to the radiator my front mount leaves very little room to work with.

Last edited:
Heres some more pics I found an old hose lying around and cut it. This is just to give you all a better idea of how it will turn out, finished product will have proper weather strip and maybe some mesh.

Attachments

• ventpic3.jpg
    ventpic3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 339
  • ventpic4.jpg
    ventpic4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 253
jjm96gst it looks so much better with the trim on it! Didn't like it at first but it should look nice now. I live in a hot climate too and Redline Water Wetter took care of my cooling issues. After getting the $10 bottle from the shop the temps never went past the middle line, just an FYI.

I like the look. After you trim it out of course. Not too bad.

Side note: El paso is high desert. Ive been there. I know it DOES get hotter than hell but it is super dry. Surprised you have cooling issues. I would duct the hell out of it. I live near St louis and let me tell you: It gets crazy hot here. But humid as well. Sea level too.
I was on business 2 years ago in elpaso and ill never forget the golf out there, i could play every day. First off, its high elevation, i hit my drives and most irons nearly 20yds further!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back