The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Symmetrical Hood

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teancum

Probationary Member
Apr 12, 2014
Riverton, Utah
All I want is a budget hood that is SYMMETRICAL. Is that too much to ask? Hahaha. The asymmetrical hump is killing me. And I don't want to drop $600+ on a carbon fiber hood. Help me out please?

Good luck finding one. I believe its the 90 model non turbos that came with a "humpless'' hood. But like I said, good luck!

Yeah, I think it was the 90-91 1.8's that didn't have the hump. I guess they tried to save money by making just one hood from 92-94 for all models. The hump is there because the hood won't clear the camshafts/cam cover on 4G63's, but will clear the cam on the 4G37 without it.

Ok thanks guys. So there are no aftermarket steel or glass hoods that are symmetrical?

Actually when I first started looking at these cars I saw a dude on google pics that had humps on both sides of the hood. I know the hump on the other side isn't functional but it actually kinda looked like the GTR hood and it was symmetrical. Haha. Anyone have any idea where to find one?

It would be a TON of work but I had the idea to get a wrecking yard hood and try to transplant it's hump onto my hood on the other side to achieve the desired symmetry. Anyone else done that before?

@Lurker, you know any places to find budget hoods? I've looked at andysautosport.com and carid.com and done a google search. But all the ones I see are CF and most definitely wouldn't be defined as "budget friendly" haha. If there's not one out there then I will look at fabbing one. It's not urgent by any means.

Instead of the 'hump' transplant, you can take a smooth part of another hood and make the entire thing hump-less. There will be some clearance issues though since timing gears are sticking up so high. To get around that some simply cut a slot in the hood and let their clear cam cover stick through. Could also add two symmetrical scoops/humps of a different design, if you so choose.

Let's not get off topic but I never did say that it wasn't a dsm. I just was curious as to why they have humps when they don't need it but my curiosity was answered.

Cut the hump out and put some chicken wire on it. Slap a clear timing cover on too. ROFL

Just kidding, I also dislike the hump. I always find myself questioning how it looks. CF hood painted the color of your car may be your cheapest bet. Used CF hood with the clear fadding go for like, what 200?

That may also be easier than finding an OEM humpless hood. . .

This ^^^^ applies to you if you have a 1g of course. (someone said 1g earlier in the thread)

That tells me nothing, there are tons of different models of subarus.

It sounds like you know nothing John Snow. There are non-turbo subaru's that do not have vented hoods.

The comment you quoted previously was saying how a hood with NO HUMP would fit your NON turbo vehicle. Hence the DSM's come with turbo. That would be the connection you did not dot.

I've tried to look on my 420a but can't tell for sure.. I thought the hood bulge on the 420a kept the battery and/or ECU for hitting the hood.

I've tried to look on my 420a but can't tell for sure.. I thought the hood bulge on the 420a kept the battery and/or ECU for hitting the hood.

It doesn't. I have a front strut bars on my car and it's pretty much straight(so to say) across the engine and the battery sits underneath the bar. I think with the 2G, they had all of the clearance issues under the hood worked out.

The hump would be cool, but instead they put it on EVERY 95-99 model made. LAME! :p

Just like the "10th" anniversary GS. Came with a high rise wing. Must have had an overstock of them and knew production was about to stop LOL.

It doesn't. I have a front strut bars on my car and it's pretty much straight(so to say) across the engine and the battery sits underneath the bar. I think with the 2G, they had all of the clearance issues under the hood worked out.

Thanks man for clearing that up.

My girlfriend says she likes the "buldge".....sexy:sneaky:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back