The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Aftermarket bumper cover question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlanZero

Proven Member
Aug 13, 2013
Easton, Pennsylvania
So I picked up an aftermarket bumper cover in good condition at the junkyard, and the guy just had it minimally bolted on. I wanna know if all you guys who've installed aftermarket bumper covers (from ebay, etc.) bothered to replace the metal reinforcement piece that runs along the bottom. The one on my current bumper is rusted and cracked, and seems to serve no purpose whatsoever.

It adds a bit of structure keeping the bottom lip in shape. You can not have it, and maybe it will look good short term and even possibly long term, but it seems hit or miss.

I had one of those bumpers in my first spyder and didn't think I needed the support piece. I ran over a large chunk of ice that winter and it split the bottom. So I would say go ahead and reinforce it ;)

I kept all of mine. I just sanded and painted them to make them look better. If it is fiberglass, I would strongly recommend that you keep them. It will help keep some of the stress off of the bolt holes.

Edit: I'm a dumb a$$. I didn't keep the one on the bottom because of the cover shape. I just read the OP again after I posted:banghead: I kept the one under the hood. :thumb:

The front bumper on my car is a urethane reproduction. That structural piece, if I remember correctly was busted to hell when I did the install, and I haven't had any issues. That said, I ride at stock height due to the terrible roads in this area.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back