The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

spray on lens tint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you go for it drop the extra few bucks and get VHT niteshades, the don't carry it at wal-mart or an autozone but advanced always has it. The cheaper tint sometimes has a purple hue to it after it dries and ive never had as good of results after buffing it as the VHT.

But as far as visibility goes, one coats not bad, twos iffy and three if the third is a little heavier is not a good idea for headlights, you can take it all the way to black but by third coat i did'nt really consider it save driving to work at night. So rather than remove it i got some purty hid fogs LOL. If you drive a lot at night i wouldnt suggest it to dark but its all preference man

Do not tint your headlights, especially if they are already peeling and faded. You are going to make crappy look, poor performing headlights even worse.

Clean up your lenses with one of those restore kits or wet sand and polish the lenses.

Has anyone tried that spray on lens tint I saw at Walmart? . My spyder headlight lenses are yellowing and I was gonna try this stuff. How weak will my beams be afterwards?

I'm going to guess that your headlight output will be significantly diminished....

If your lenses are yellowing, then the better option would be to buy one of those headlight restoration kits. Even the $10 kit from

Harbor Freightworks well.

The lens "kits" are ok. If they're really bad then break out the 2000 grit and get ta sandin' boy. 30 mins of wet sanding brought mine back to near-new condition. Followed by a good buffing with the restoring compound they sell at walmart or any car parts store.

I've "restored" them already. They're not cloudy or peeling. These are the after market spyder brand assemblies, and the lenses are tinting yellow with age, hence the reason I was gonna tint them. I liked the tinted OEM headlights on my last dsm and I wanted the same effect

I wouldn't recommend tinting your headlights. You can (and probably will) get ticketed for it. If you have cheap headlights in it that are yellowing from the inside, pick up a set of OEM headlights with the black backing. That way you get the black look without having worry about getting pulled over.

ive used VHT nightshades on tail lights but never on headlights. if youre having a hazing problem i would restore them and if that doesnt work you can always get a set of clear lenses on ebay and transfer to the stock if you want

I used gritty toothpaste, a sock inside out and a spray bottle with soapy water. Cleaned up my headlights like new. Lol. YouTube it

I'd get the VHT if you're going to do it, or order some PlastiDip Smoke so you can remove it if you don't like it or it blocks too much light.
Have you tried sanding a small area to see if you can get past the yellow? I know you restored them, but wasn't sure if you tried anything <1000 grit to get more removed. Not trying to be another person to tell you to restore them after you already did, but maybe just another idea on how to fix it.

Just a small fyi. When you go to remove the nightshades... you can't... it DESTROYS whatever you spray it on. So when you get the ticket for tinted lights, on any of them, here is the warning. Unless you plan on spending 40-50 hours into reversing the effect on some $99 lights (heads, tails, whatever) then don't do it. I spent about 10 hours removing three coats of nightshades from my tails to pass a "fix it" ticket. Ended up buying lights off another member. It looked TERRIBLE trying to get the stuff off.

Take it for what its worth, either buy the transparent tinted plasti dip, or look into the tinted vinyl. Both look great, I have a couple buddies who used both of the above. Both are removable without harsh chemicals, sandpaper, devices to scrape plastic and blah blah.... vht is for suckers, you'll get busted, you'll have to remove it, may as well make it easier on yourself from the get go. I am personally looking I to the plasti dip spray on tint myself... cop pulls me over and gives me shit, I step out and pull it off as he is talking... go home and respray.

Just a small fyi. When you go to remove the nightshades... you can't... it DESTROYS whatever you spray it on. So when you get the ticket for tinted lights, on any of them, here is the warning. Unless you plan on spending 40-50 hours into reversing the effect on some $99 lights (heads, tails, whatever) then don't do it. I spent about 10 hours removing three coats of nightshades from my tails to pass a "fix it" ticket. Ended up buying lights off another member. It looked TERRIBLE trying to get the stuff off.

Take it for what its worth, either buy the transparent tinted plasti dip, or look into the tinted vinyl. Both look great, I have a couple buddies who used both of the above. Both are removable without harsh chemicals, sandpaper, devices to scrape plastic and blah blah.... vht is for suckers, you'll get busted, you'll have to remove it, may as well make it easier on yourself from the get go. I am personally looking I to the plasti dip spray on tint myself... cop pulls me over and gives me shit, I step out and pull it off as he is talking... go home and respray.

Niteshades is easily removed with carb cleaner. Buff the object afterwards to get rid of the white residue. I have done this on several different occasions.

Just came with plug n play ballasts. Whaddya want for $50? Lol

I wouldn't even use the HIDs then. You would get better light output from the Halogens that are suppose to be there. Plus on as an added bonus of not using the pnp kit, you wont be blinding others on the road.

Easy Off Oven Cleaner works great to strip it.

Well the hids are already in, and they work a helluva lot better than my old ones; after adjusting the vertical they're not obnoxiously blinding. Also, after consulting with the local pigs I was informed that I could get pulled over for tinted tail lights as well, so it's in my best interest to only tint my reverse and side marker lights.

Well the hids are already in, and they work a helluva lot better than my old ones; after adjusting the vertical they're not obnoxiously blinding. Also, after consulting with the local pigs I was informed that I could get pulled over for tinted tail lights as well, so it's in my best interest to only tint my reverse and side marker lights.

You can also get pulled over for putting HID bulbs in your stock reflector housings.

Nightshades also comes off easily with bleach white or paint thinner. Nobody has mentioned it but after restoring your headlights it's good to spray a couple coats of clear on them, if you don't they will yellow back out over and over again.

You're not adjusting out the glare from PNP hids in halogen reflectors. Not gonna happen. Look into the retrofits people do around here, if you're serious about real lighting.

You're not adjusting out the glare from PNP hids in halogen reflectors. Not gonna happen. Look into the retrofits people do around here, if you're serious about real lighting.

+15000 You would still be better off pulling the pnp kit out of the car and going with the halogen bulbs. There is the possibility that you have lost light two different ways with the pnp. The first way is by having an unfocused light beam causing pretty much nothing but glare. Second is depending on the color range of the bulb, you loose luminous. Anything above 5k you start to get a blue tint in the bulbs. A 4300 color range is closest to the suns natural color and also produces the most luminous.

Take it for what is worth and it's your car. Just trying to give a litter incite on the subject.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back