Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Appearance/Interior/Exterior
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Appearance/Interior/Exterior: All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 09:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 17

Replacing Front Speakers

Passenger side front speaker is blown and would like to replace it. I don't have the infinity sys so I believe the size is 5 1/4. Which aftermarket speaker do you all recommend to replace that doesn't require much modification and is a direct fit? Also would I need to get specialized speaker bracket for it? Not looking for anything special, just ones that works.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,310
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to NeMiZiS
Pretty much any 5 1/4" speaker will work, as long as the magnet isn't too big.
I have infinity's similar to these.
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Perfe.../dp/B00009V3SD
But you can find cheaper speakers that will work just fine too.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 162
Photos: 17
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 59
I run alpine type s in my fronts. They sound nice and wernt to expensive, and they were a direct fit! Just something to look in to.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:06 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 143
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 4
I was thinking of replacing the front speakers in my GST, the drivers side doesn't work, but the pasenger side is good. It's the infinity system idk if the size is different. They are 6-3/4 I think. Let me know if you want it.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-11-2011, 11:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,310
Photos: 14
Send a message via Yahoo to NeMiZiS
speaker size? [Merged 1-7]

Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 364
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 1
You can easily fit 6 1/2 speakers in the front. I have put 6 1/2's front speakers in all my dsm's. No trimming required just have to drill new mounting holes. Since it is plastic you could just use a drill and screw the screws in were you need them.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Actually you probably don't want mine. I got some new ones today and got a good look at the old ones for the first time. They are really screwed up. Which is funny, because the right side sounded fine. No distortion or anything.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:26 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.299 @ 96.430
Tech Posts: 262
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryztriumph View Post
Actually you probably don't want mine. I got some new ones today and got a good look at the old ones for the first time. They are really screwed up. Which is funny, because the right side sounded fine. No distortion or anything.

Those things are pretty toasted. I'm surprised you couldn't hear a difference...

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Old 11-11-2011, 03:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well I can definitely hear the difference now. It sounds 100x better than it did!!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,127
Classifieds Rating: -1
Mine were blow that bad, but they didn't sound terrible. Just no base what so ever.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:28 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Yeah, I couldn't really tell that there was no bass because of my bazookas. They do a pretty good job. Now, with the new speakers in, they sound so deep and sexy! I wish I'd replaced the speakers when I got the car. I guess you can't do everything at once!

Old 11-12-2011, 01:10 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Supporting Freelancer

Tech Posts: 762
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 16
I used some cheap Blaupunkt 6.5" and they sound ok but the bolt pattern wasn't big enough and I had to make a reducer ring for them to fit the door hole. I would get dimensions of whatever your thinking of buying and compare it to the stock hole.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 2,600
Photos: 20
Send a message via AIM to Black Widow97
I alleays get pioneer. Theyre inexpensive and i have never had a problem with them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Pioneer is what I got. They sound good and they were cheap! What else do you need?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 32
Classifieds Rating: 2
^ ^ ^ Pioneer is definately good sounding, went with those in my Stealth front and rears

Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 54
Send a message via AIM to bryceorbiter
I used some random tiny speakers i had laying around, a little bit to small to fit in the plastic cradle correctly, i used some cardboard and zipties to make it work until i could get some nice speakers. If your in a pinch that is what i recommend.

For easily connecting speakers i just solder some wires to the speaker I'm putting in's terminal, then on the other end crimp some male quick disconnects. That way i can maintain the stock harness and easily switch speakers around.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,127
Classifieds Rating: -1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryztriumph View Post
Yeah, I couldn't really tell that there was no bass because of my bazookas. They do a pretty good job. Now, with the new speakers in, they sound so deep and sexy! I wish I'd replaced the speakers when I got the car. I guess you can't do everything at once!
Meh I prefer larger full range speakers to subs or boom tubes. I really would like to figure out a way to run some 10s in the back preferably in the stock location or once I delete my rear seat I will figure something out, and 8s in the doors. I know the 8s in the doors is doable. Then I will probably replace the factory amp with something that can actually give all 4 juice.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:20 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostinsideways View Post
Meh I prefer larger full range speakers to subs or boom tubes. I really would like to figure out a way to run some 10s in the back preferably in the stock location or once I delete my rear seat I will figure something out, and 8s in the doors. I know the 8s in the doors is doable. Then I will probably replace the factory amp with something that can actually give all 4 juice.
There is no such thing as a full range speaker. Going larger will increase the amount of midbass you can achieve, but going larger also decreases accuracy in the higher frequencies. You will never get door speakers to produce the bass a subwoofer produces, even if you go with 8s in the doors. Believe me...been there. The rear enclosure room for the OEM 6x9s isn't even close to what you would need for a 10"...even if it was of the shallow-mount variety.

Achieving useful midbass in the doors of our cars is perfectly do-able. It can be done easily with 6.5" drivers in modified stock enclosures. Search: aperiodic enclosures.

The point isn't to get "awesome bass from the doors"...it's to make the doors hit low enough to make you believe the corresponding bass from the sub(s) is coming from the front. The mids provide the "attack" of the bass hit (the frequency range that is locatable by our ears) and the sub fills-in the lower frequencies that are not locatable. Rear speakers do you a huge disservice in this arena. The locatable/non-locatable point is right around 100Hz. If you can get your doors to play lower than that, it makes it easier to perform the illusion. I have 6.5s in my doors right now (Diamond Hex) that I crossover at 50Hz (but with a really steep 24dB/octave slope) and they sound amazing. Like most things: it's all in the tuning.

Even though I have great midbass in the doors, I still have dedicated drivers for midrange (in kickpanel pods) and dedicated drivers for high frequencies...even ones for super-high frequencies (above 20kHz). No ONE speaker does it all. That's like saying there is ONE turbo to cover the range from 210hp to 1200hp. Use each component in your system for it's inherent advantages. Trying to make things perform outside their intended design parameters is how you blow things up.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 337
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 2
Crutchfiled as an excellent place to buy from, deals everyday and they're Newbies friendly too. Comes with a master sheet instruction and harness lit for free. Which would save anyone a few bucks.

Pioneer Head with Inifnity speakers is a great combo, budget friendly.

My first car 89 cutlass ciera has this setup my brother who is a system freak. Thought I had 10's in the rear when I told its 6x9s he and I laughed at him.