Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Appearance/Interior/Exterior
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Appearance/Interior/Exterior: All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 02:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 551
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 18

wrapping your car instead of painting it

Has anyone ever though about wrapping there car instead of painting it? Just like how companies put logo's on their vehicles with a sticker, it is the same concept except it is like putting a sticker off the whole car.

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 1,310
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to NeMiZiS
I kind of like the idea, but it seems like it may hold water in some places.
Possibly causing rust.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 316
Classifieds Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeMiZiS View Post
I kind of like the idea, but it seems like it may hold water in some places.
Possibly causing rust.
Interesting, in my uneducated brain I see vinyl being better because it wont bubble up and rust...
In my opinion wrapping is great for guys who want to have the carbon fiber look, without the cost, fitment issues, or performance gains. If you already have bad paint, wouldn't you need to do almost as much prep for a good wrap job as you would for a paint job? (sanding and smoothing, rust repair, primer...) After all, for it to stick properly, you need a nice, clean, smooth surface..?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 63
Classifieds Rating: 0
The only thing I have seen like that is Porsche 911 Turbo chrome vehicle wrap - YouTube
, they also have a glow in the dark mercedes.
I actually saw this car while in a taxi in London over the summer.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 551
Classifieds Rating: 18
They do it to race cars alot Because it is cheaper...

Old 09-28-2011, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: 1997 ford f250
Tech Posts: 6,270
Classifieds Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to bryanwheat
I've seen it on a few vehicle and it looked good. The only think that i'd be concerned is that it will probably fade over time. I would also think that it could be rather pricey to have done.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.390 @ 96.860
Tech Posts: 499
Photos: 40
Classifieds Rating: 32
Send a message via AIM to TSiTuner23
Vinyl will show scratches, and you cant just buff em out. it fades, and turns out to be more than paint when getting it done. My shop had a quote for getting a truck done on the sides and hood...$4700 quote.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 17
Classifieds Rating: 7
I believe Modified Magazine did a wrap on their Subaru and it looked really nice in the pics. They did a flat silver so the wrap didnt shine so much and look fake. I spoke to the company that did the wrap in California and they were talking like $1,500 to $2,000. I dont know how this will hold up but it is being done. Hope this helped.

Eric

Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 107
Classifieds Rating: 1
Friend of a friend wrap his hood. Its looks pretty good. I think if I where to redo my paint I would rather wrap over painting it. Its pretty much like putting on window tint.

Car Wrap | Carbon Fiber Vinyl | StickerCity.com

Old 09-28-2011, 05:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Banana Republic

Tech Posts: 4,639
Photos: 65
Classifieds Rating: 14
I wrapped the top and hatch of my DSM matte black last year, cost $100 locally. Worth every penny for the prep, just had to wash the car with soap before we applied it, and maintenance was spraying it with Windex (rather than wax) to clean it off. Once I decided I wanted to go back to the red I pulled it up and the paint was in perfect shape, the vinyl actually UV protects the paint and, if you use the correct vinyl for car wraps, it breaths as well so no condensation will stay under it.

The kit (posted in the website linked above) to wrap the entire car yourself costs $650 which isn't bad at all, just be sure to get the applicator tools because they are necessary to do it right.

E-OCHOCINCO Powered FP HTA68 / stock 7-bolt / Shep 4

Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 107
When you did the cut by the spoiler how did you go about doing it to not damage the paint on the trunk?

Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Banana Republic

A nice sharp razor with little to no pressure being applied, if you take your time you won't even scar the clear coat with it. You are talking about the hatch correct, not the spoiler? The black on the underside/back of the spoiler itself isn't vinyl, its a CF spoiler painted red on the top.

It was a one piece wrap too. Just lots of blow drying, hot air allows you to stretch it, and "massaging" the vinyl into place. Its important that it isn't rushed and that the surface is very well prepped (clean) or else its going to be a mess.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
I wrapped the top and hatch of my DSM matte black last year, cost $100 locally. Worth every penny for the prep, just had to wash the car with soap before we applied it, and maintenance was spraying it with Windex (rather than wax) to clean it off. Once I decided I wanted to go back to the red I pulled it up and the paint was in perfect shape, the vinyl actually UV protects the paint and, if you use the correct vinyl for car wraps, it breaths as well so no condensation will stay under it.

The kit (posted in the website linked above) to wrap the entire car yourself costs $650 which isn't bad at all, just be sure to get the applicator tools because they are necessary to do it right.

Image saved for my desktop background.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 529
Classifieds Rating: 2
wrapping your car in vinyl is a really common thing with show cars. the only way it will look nice though is it it's done right, bubbles are very noticeable.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 13.869 @ 95.090
Tech Posts: 4,696
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 25
There's an AMG SLS running around here in State College that was wrapped in flat black vinyl. It was done poorly and the car looks like garbage. There's air bubbles all over the thing.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Banana Republic

If the vinyl was done recently then thats hopefully why it looked like ass. After you apply the vinyl you allow it to "heat cycle" itself onto the car, then after a week or so of sun exposure you pop the bubbles with a needle and press it smooth. Most of the bubbles disappear after a few days of sun, bigger ones won't though.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Timeslip: 13.869 @ 95.090
Tech Posts: 4,696
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 25
This was done a few months ago. The guy who owns it is an idiot.

I have seen wraps done right. It looks good.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 114
I had my drag sled wrapped. It looks really nice the first few weeks, but it's not pratical. If anything hits it or dings it it shows a pretty gnarly rash. And that isn't really fixable. It'd be good for show, but not a daily driver.