Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Appearance/Interior/Exterior
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Appearance/Interior/Exterior: All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 12:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Tech Posts: 150
Classifieds Rating: 0

Painting a car with a paint brush.

Well, my Talon is completely dead now and needs to have the drivetrain pulled....etc. The car is pretty messed up (has a clean carfax though!) but really isn't worth a heck of a lot.

So, I had a good bet with my friend that I could paint my Geo with spray paint and make it look nice. He lost, and I had bragging rights to the best looking spray painted car in town. I am a fairly experienced painter so, I have that as an advantage.

Anyway, I am repainting my Talon and was going to just do it in the paint booth with the gun, etc. But, that's entirely too easy and really boring. Not to mention my booth is actually taken by another car right now. So, I decided to paint my car using a brush this time. I want some more bragging rights.

I'm curious to know if anyone has been dumb enough to try this, and what your results have been.

I already began painting, so no need to dissuade me.

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 234
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 6
If you already started then I will opt. for saying that you are the first one dumb enough to try it.lol
\
Post pics when done see how it came out
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-06-2010, 01:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,303
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
There were tonnage of stories of car owners in general taking Rustsoleum enamel paints and rolling their cars with it with a 4.1 ratio of mineral spirits an the paint - getting the paint down to water consistency where it actually flows over the surface then you use high density foam rollers and roll the paint out.

Thing about using Rustoleum is that the stuff fades quick in the hot sun.

You definitely need a good arm and lots of money to rattle-can a car to look good - so, no "orange peel" "fish eyes" and no "roping" allowed with that technique.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:14 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,627
Classifieds Rating: 4
No harm done but the idea seems very funny. I said go for it. Show pix when your done. Seems like a cool idea.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 914
Here is a link::
It is a long thread, but go thru it. On the first page, the guy with orange car from Toronto, Canda. He is the one that did it... GL.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Old 02-06-2010, 10:48 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Wildberry mix. I ruined my blender cup to make sure I got the paint to mix well. Looks rather tasty in the blender and makes me want to eat it sometimes... Rust Oleum Royal Blue 60%, Safety Red 15%, Glossy Black 10%, Mineral Spirits 15%

I couldn't get a good picture, but you can tell it's at least been painted. It's not bad looking for a first coat.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 94
wow this is hilarious cause it actually looks pretty damn good. put some pics up when your done.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:15 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 213
Classifieds Rating: 21
I have a Fast and Furious Model car of Paul walker's 95 eclipse. I used a paint brush on it. Even did it in Lime Green! I know its not the same thing, but still cool. I think you should just try it. Def post pics man! Good Luck!!!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:23 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 9.980 @ 139.980
Tech Posts: 798
Classifieds Rating: 1
Send a message via MSN to slowgsr
It would be better to thin it out (1:1), and spray it on, but good luck.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgsr View Post
It would be better to thin it out (1:1), and spray it on, but good luck.
But then I can't say I painted my car in my living room! It's all about braggin' rights here...

Old 02-06-2010, 01:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 329
Send a message via Yahoo to EagleTSIawd
Hard to see in the pictures but I would guess there are some slight brush marks right?

Old 02-06-2010, 07:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 4,303
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: DSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthyDSM1G90 is extremely helpful and trustworthy
.. in my picts profile, you'll see a green 1G DSM - I rolled that car with Rustoleum 2 yrs ago... - DSM

Last edited by DSM1G90; 02-08-2010 at 02:37 AM.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:03 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 820
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 7
Yea dont use a brush, use a foam roller, I painted my 1.8 with black rusto and a roller, looks pretty good.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 32
looks good! a friend of mine used a brush when he painted the front bumper on his 1g and it turned out really well, there were almost no brush marks. you just have to take your time

Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 13.973 @ 98.030
Tech Posts: 322
Send a message via AIM to jdodds Send a message via MSN to jdodds Send a message via Yahoo to jdodds
it might have the chance of looking good for about 6 months. after that point, its gonna start to fade and look like garbage. youre better off ordering a paint gun from Harbor Freight for like 15 bucks and buying some halfway decent paint that should last you at least 3 years. Mine looks awesome and I only spent about 120 total on it.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 77
I sprayed mine with Rustoleum. My $50 paint job pictures.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

This is after 11 coats worth of paint.. Pretty nothing in terms of brush strokes, but it's freakin dusty inside my home. Kind of makes me mad I'm going to have wetsand a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdodds View Post
it might have the chance of looking good for about 6 months. after that point, its gonna start to fade and look like garbage. youre better off ordering a paint gun from Harbor Freight for like 15 bucks and buying some halfway decent paint that should last you at least 3 years. Mine looks awesome and I only spent about 120 total on it.
My mailbox still looks good with Rust Oleum, and it's 15 years old, so I assume this paint will do just as well.... Not saying the paint gun way isn't easier. But I've already got a gun and compressor, and paint booth. Just want to be able to say I painted my car in my house...

Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 77
nice.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,627
It does look tasty!

Old 02-10-2010, 12:02 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

I don't know what happened, but there was a definite major malfunction with the paint job. It's BROWN!! In the pics and even in person inside, it looked wildberry to me, but I took the fender and bumper outside today to see how glossy it would look, and it was the color of a Hershey's Candy Bar, and had absolutely no hint of any purple.

I am really disappointed with this...and there's no way I am sporting a brown DSM. No "Chocolate Rage, or Poopy Thunder" or anything. So, after looking at my old Talon, I've decided to break down and buy some black paint and start over. It's okay, I can't find 2gb headlights anyway for less than $200, so I am fine for now. The black paint is about $90 a gallon for a good quality glossy paint, and that's what I want.

So, really this is just turning into a paint my car progress thread instead of being entertaining. Sorry guys.