Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Appearance/Interior/Exterior
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Appearance/Interior/Exterior: All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2009, 07:07 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: Honda S2000
Tech Posts: 110
Classifieds Rating: 2

A/c not working

When I got my car, the a/c tensioner/pulley and belt were off. I bought and installed those, but the a/c hasn't been blowing cold. I finally picked up a Pocketlogger and it doesn't show the a/c clutch light flashing on/off when I turn the a/c on/off. Anyone have any suggestions where to start fixing or diagnosing the issue?

Thanks!

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:44 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 191
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to RoninEclipse2G Send a message via Yahoo to RoninEclipse2G
I'd start with checking the system pressure. There's a pressure switch in there that if it doesn't register enough pressure the clutch won't engage. I've had that happen on a few cars that I've bought.

A previous owner may have removed the belt and tensioner instead of having to deal with the R134 refrigerant update, sometimes that can get spendy

Last edited by Defiant; 06-14-2009 at 02:51 AM.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:11 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

From what I've read, r134 has the threads on the inside of the fittings and r12 has them on the outside. Mine has them on the inside, so I believe it's been converted to r134. The a/c compressor was loose whenever I got the car, and hanging by a bolt, so it's possible the guy tried to remove the a/c and couldn't get the compressor out. I didn't know the compressor just wouldn't turn on it all if it were low on freon.

Guess I'll have to take it to a shop and have them check it out. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 02:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 25,202
Photos: 8
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/prob...l?highlight=ac
Visit Defiant's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 06-19-2009, 12:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Just an update:

A/c works now! I took it in to an a/c shop and they said they suspected whoever converted the a/c to R134 never put freon back in it! Freon filled, but the a/c wouldn't work. After swapping around & replacing a couple of the fuses and relays, the compressor kicked on and blew ice cold.

Thanks for the input

Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 107
Photos: 22
Classifieds Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthrottle View Post
Just an update:

A/c works now! I took it in to an a/c shop and they said they suspected whoever converted the a/c to R134 never put freon back in it! Freon filled, but the a/c wouldn't work. After swapping around & replacing a couple of the fuses and relays, the compressor kicked on and blew ice cold.

Thanks for the input
Glad you were able to wrap it up.

Clean 1g by the way.