The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

A/c not working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allthrottle

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 21, 2009
Houston, Texas
When I got my car, the a/c tensioner/pulley and belt were off. I bought and installed those, but the a/c hasn't been blowing cold. I finally picked up a Pocketlogger and it doesn't show the a/c clutch light flashing on/off when I turn the a/c on/off. Anyone have any suggestions where to start fixing or diagnosing the issue?

Thanks!

I'd start with checking the system pressure. There's a pressure switch in there that if it doesn't register enough pressure the clutch won't engage. I've had that happen on a few cars that I've bought.

A previous owner may have removed the belt and tensioner instead of having to deal with the R134 refrigerant update, sometimes that can get spendy

From what I've read, r134 has the threads on the inside of the fittings and r12 has them on the outside. Mine has them on the inside, so I believe it's been converted to r134. The a/c compressor was loose whenever I got the car, and hanging by a bolt, so it's possible the guy tried to remove the a/c and couldn't get the compressor out. I didn't know the compressor just wouldn't turn on it all if it were low on freon.

Guess I'll have to take it to a shop and have them check it out. Thanks!

Just an update:

A/c works now! I took it in to an a/c shop and they said they suspected whoever converted the a/c to R134 never put freon back in it! Freon filled, but the a/c wouldn't work. After swapping around & replacing a couple of the fuses and relays, the compressor kicked on and blew ice cold.

Thanks for the input :)

Just an update:

A/c works now! I took it in to an a/c shop and they said they suspected whoever converted the a/c to R134 never put freon back in it! Freon filled, but the a/c wouldn't work. After swapping around & replacing a couple of the fuses and relays, the compressor kicked on and blew ice cold.

Thanks for the input :)

Glad you were able to wrap it up.

Clean 1g by the way.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back