The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

VHT flameproof ceramic paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92_talonGsXt

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2009
lake forest, California
Has anyone used Vht flameproof ceramic coating rated at 2000 degrees?I just picked up an evo 3 manifold and wanted to get it coated,any one have experience with Vht flameproof ceramic paint

Great stuff!! I used it on my manifold, tubine housing, o2 housing, and downpipe. Very impressed with it. My buddy used it on his Turbo MR2 and had great results. Just be sure to follow the directions on the can very carefully! Bake and let cool as directed.

If you plan to spray smoothe surfaces, get the surface industrial beed
blasted, rather than only a light sand blast. Coating will hang on better.
Cheers !

i have it on my hotside and o2 housing sofar so good!!

I just installed a evo3 manifold, 7cm turbine housing, and 2.5" O2 housing that i primed and painted with the VHT 2k* ceramic. Everything looked very nice before install. I even baked per instructions off the car and its wearing off quickly with less than 150miles. Don't waste your time.

I just installed a evo3 manifold, 7cm turbine housing, and 2.5" O2 housing that i primed and painted with the VHT 2k* ceramic. Everything looked very nice before install. I even baked per instructions off the car and its wearing off quickly with less than 150miles. Don't waste your time.

What did you "prime" this with?

VHT Flameproof primer 2000* which they recommend using on the ceramic coat directions. I do seem to notice a difference in underhood temps though.

Did you clean all of your surfaces properly and apply more then just on coat? I did 3 coats on mine and 1500 miles later it's still looking good and keeping temps down.

I used black on my Turbine Exhaust Housing, O2 Housing and 2G Manifold. Liked it.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Just don't touch it, it likes finger prints... as you can tell LOL.

I used that stuff and it cooked off after a spirited drive. I had a pretty bad tune on it so Im sure that had something to do with it. The manifold was glowing red and turned white after it cooled down.

Great stuff!! I used it on my manifold, tubine housing, o2 housing, and downpipe. Very impressed with it. My buddy used it on his Turbo MR2 and had great results. Just be sure to follow the directions on the can very carefully! Bake and let cool as directed.

did you let it bake the full 30mins on the 3 different heat levels?:hmm:

Used it on my exhuast manifold when I replaced it. Used aircraft cleaner to prep it after doing a 300 grit rough up, 5 coats of VHT and >500 miles later it was baked off... Maybe it was user error... Just my personal experiance...

used it on my exhaust manifold as well. i highly recommend it.

I didn't have the best results doing the on car curing method. It is still "blackish" after a couple thousand miles, but not the best looking. I didn't prep and it was still rusted, so I guess not too bad overall.

However, I am doing my homemade O2 housing with it this weekend and plan on sandblasting and doing a few coats so I am sure it will turn out better.

I used this stuff too..I prepped vertty heavily..I would highly reccomend it...So would a couple other buddies of mine..The $9.00 a can is really worth it..

have any of you guys used it on your heat shields? and if so did you let the heat shields bake for the full 30 mins? :talon: :hmm:

Kinda off topic, But I use the coating on everything..
Especially ATV pipes. If prepped properly as directed, it holds rather nice. Even when going from red hot to ice cold in seconds. As in being dunked in a mudhole or creek.

Last coating got it Really thick and then wrapped in header tape. Even sprayed the tape with high temp silicone paint, the stuff works GREAT! for reducing temps. Im no longer scared of burning my leg off from a uncoverd exhaust pipe.

Kinda off topic, But I use the coating on everything..
Especially ATV pipes. If prepped properly as directed, it holds rather nice. Even when going from red hot to ice cold in seconds. As in being dunked in a mudhole or creek.

Last coating got it Really thick and then wrapped in header tape. Even sprayed the tape with high temp silicone paint, the stuff works GREAT! for reducing temps. Im no longer scared of burning my leg off from a uncoverd exhaust pipe.

Have you used it on your dsm for anything?? how did it workk for you on your dsm if you have used it? :talon: :hmm:

sorry to dig this thread up from the grave, but im looking at using this on my manifold, tubular o2 housing and maybe the hotside of my turbo. Does this coating retain heat like a headerwrap or like a ceramic coating or what?

Ceramic coating actually keeps the heat out..Once you put the stuff on and bake it, It does keep the temp down big time..You can actually put your hand like an inch away and almost feel no heat...I'm sure 90 percent of the dsm tuner audiance would reccomend ceramic coating..Buying the can is the really cheap way to get it done and doesn't help as much as sending it out to be coated inside and out, but also keeps the cost to about 10 bux...Instead of paying 30+ to get it coated..Sending it out is the ultimate ceramic coating, but for 10 bux you really can't go wrong..

Contrary to popular beleif, header wrap just traps the heat in the manifold, and eventually might cause cracking, due to the heat retention of the wrap..Ceramic has the opposite effect..And makes you able to almost touch what was coated..

comes out like this if you prep good:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back