The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2g Wheels and Tires Size Questions [merged] fit fitment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayhenry

Probationary Member
Jun 28, 2002
Vancouver, Vancouver_BC
i drive a 1998 eclipse spyder. the stock tires are 205/55/16
whats the widest tires i can fit?

If you street race, Id get the 555r's. 225/50/16. They do the job well and they fit on stock 16 chrome rims.

the lower profile tire will leave a bigger gap...then you will want a spring kit because you wont like it...

i put 215/40/17 on my car...now i have an unsightly gap...i should have went to a 45 series...

On the stock rims for a 96 GS-T the only tires I can put on are 205/55/16 right?? any feedback appriciated!

i'm sure you can put on different size tires from stock. go to www.tires.com and www.tirerack.com and enter your car info and they will give you "plus sizing" options for both stock size wheels and larger ones. as long as the tires aren't so wide as to rub the wheel well or suspension components when turning you should be ok. if you don't use the plus sizing system your speedometer will also be off a bit. the wider a tire is, the lower sidewall you need to keep your speedometer reading accurate. i hope this helps

I getting 18 inch Kinesis Forge wheels for my 99GSX. What tires sized should I put on? My car is lowered 1.5 inches already.

not too sure about what tire size, i am sure that someone else can help you on that one. but if you don't want to lose ride comfort i would stay at a 1-1.5 inch drop. your handling will improve and you won't come out of your seat with every little bump on the road. 2 inches is better for handling but you sacrifice more comfort, and you start to notice those bumbs in the road a little bit more. i have heard of people have trouble with tires rubbing with a three inch drop, but it all depends on what is important to you and what kind of shocks and springs you have. you can go to dsm's main page and somewhere in there is specs on wheels and tires that are known to be compatible.

i was wrong about where to find the tire sizes that are known to fit different size rims. go to machv.com and click on wheels/tire's. they have a list of what you are looking for, sorry about the confusion:rolleyes:

Use a 225 35 18... Not the best ride, and not a lot of protection for your rims, but that'd give you about the same diameter as the factory rims and tires.

How much bigger can your aftermarket diameter be from your stock diameter? If you go about a half inch bigger, will the only consequnces be a bit slower acceleration and an inaccurate speedo?

it wont even be noticable with just a bit bigger tire. The closet to stock size with a 17" wheel is 215/45/17 tires which are almost identical in overall height. Depending on how low your car is and camber and what not, most can easily fir 235 series on any dsm with no problems ata ll

I was wondering if there is a certain size tire that you have to have on a 95 GSX. I have 17's right now, but my friend is going to give me his stock 15's ( not the swirls, but just some black rims/tires) so i can use them for the winter. Does anyone know if they will fit or if they will be wide enough for the car. Any input would help. Thanks

I'd be concerned about the calipers, because the GSX's have bigger rotors. Don't quote me on this maybe someone else could tell ya. But I think the calilpers might get in the way because of the bigger rotors.

I didnt even think about that yet. Oh well, guess ill have to drive on these puppies for the rest of the winter. Thanks though.

Will they fit on the caliper, I know the AWD's calipers are bigger in the center so the rim would have to have a larger opening in the center of the backside.
Will they fit? Thinking about buying a set for the winter.

i'm pretty sure all eclipse rims, regardless of year and trim level fit all other eclipses. well and talons too of course. hehe

Will they fit on the caliper, I know the AWD's calipers are bigger in the center so the rim would have to have a larger opening in the center of the backside.

Yes they will fit just fine. No it does not have a larger opening at all, car manufacturers are too cheap to make different sized parts for each individual sub-model. There is a larger wheel/caliper clearance for a GST than on a GSX.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back