The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Engine Bay [Merged 7-7] cleanup clean up unclutter tidy neat

Does the engine bay look better?

• Yes, it looks MUCH better than stock.

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • No, it looks g@y, you should have kept it stock.

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greathuskie

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2002
Hollywood, Florida
what are some things i can do to it to make it look...for lack of a better term...less busy?

i want to clean it up and i dont mean with soap and water but i mean what are some things taht are unnecessary that i can get rid of?

lose the cruise - ya can lose the ABS b/s if ya really want to. of course all the a/c junk (lines, compressor , condenser, collector ) ya can pull off the brackets used to install the motor

any way i can take stuff out while keeping some comforts? i dont think i will ever use cruise but there is always the chance, and i use AC alot (when i need it anyways)
and im i the only one who can barely find anything on vfaq?

vfaq would be alot better with a search engine. if there is one on there, i can't find it. best thing to do would be to order the DSM manual on CD. i am getting mine thursday. it is suppose to be the best thing you can to work on your car.

TTT

or as we said at IGN, bump

anyways ummmmm yea im getting rid of the AC, and probably cruise control too since i never use it even when im going a long way

anything else?

How can I get my engine bay nice and clean like sheps car,
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It looks like he took a ton out, but ive never seen another DSM with that much missing. I've already pulled ac, plan on relocating battery, but what else can come out?

It will be very hard to make a street car look like that under the hood

You have to remember that he only has what is needed to run 9's. He doens't have all your day to day stuff like wipers and motors and wiring for lights and has removed a lot of the vacume stuff, cruise control, pipe that comes off the turbo to the MAF, then the MAF is gone, no filter etc etc..

Your car wouldn't be much fun with all that stuff removed, nevermind legal to drive on the street. There are lots of things you can pull, but it will be hard to make it look like that.

I'm in the process of cleaning up my engine bay. Its alot of work to get it nice. I already removed all emissions stuff, relocated the battery, polished anything that could be polished ;). Since my car isn't a DD, its not too bad to remove all that stuff. It really makes it look nice w/o those vac lines and battery taking up space.

First of all Shep's shoes are pretty hard to fill! ;) Like mentioned before it would take alot of dough to look that nice. Things he's done: relocated battery, runs at least vpc if not stand-alone (no intake and MAS w/ filter), no abs, ignition system looks alot simpler, short route intercooler piping, sheet metal intake mani, no a/c, no powersteering, no windshield washer fluid bottle, and probably countless other things I didn't notice from just the picture. You can remove alot of the stuff Shep has if you're willing to live without it. Another thing you can do (depending on your mechanical ability and how long you can have a car that doesn't run) is reroute plumbing, wires, hoses, vaccum lines, etc. so that they are out of site. I saw in a magazine where a Honda :rolleyes: did an engine swap but while the engine was out he hid, got rid of, re-routed all sorts of stuff and it looked alot cleaner. For help on where to re-route, hide, etc. talk to antique/classic car enthusiasts how they do it. Sorry for the long post. Thought I'd try to help. :)

Guess if Shep doesn't need a Fluidyne Radiator to Run 9's i don't either, but they sure do make the engine bay look nice. I've already removed A/C, and my car didn't come with ABS, so that helps alot, it's going to be a Daily if it ever runs again.

Anyone know a good place to by a Crusie Control-non cruise control throttle cable conversion cable? I think Buschar Racing has them?
Travis

Guess if Shep doesn't need a Fluidyne Radiator to Run 9's i don't either, but they sure do make the engine bay look nice. I've already removed A/C, and my car didn't come with ABS, so that helps alot, it's going to be a Daily if it ever runs again.

Anyone know a good place to by a Crusie Control-non cruise control throttle cable conversion cable? I think Buschar Racing has them?
Travis

Yea, I am going with an FMIC eventually wich should help unclutter. My talon is my race car, nothing else. I have another DD, so I'm not worried about luxuries. I'll probably pull the washer resivoir, but I think I might keep the wipers, unless rainx will do. I dunno, I guess I have lots of expirimenting to do.

damn almost looks like he doesn't have a tranny in that thing.

I hate to toot my own horn, but I think my car has one of the cleanest and most empty bays of any street cars that I know of. There are a few more that are cleanner than mine, but I do what I can with what I have to work with.
927enginebayclosesmall.jpg

looks good man...
I really like the color of the UICP.. How did you get that blue color pipe?
Did you paint it yourself???

So, what do you guys think...

I finally broke down and took some pics of my painted engine bay. Let me know what you think.

Before:
8651my_laser_engine.jpg

After:

:thumb:
Thanks for the input.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back