The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

dash speaker removal 96 eclipse

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicky

Probationary Member
Aug 2, 2003
NebraskaUS
I was wondering if any one could tell me how to remove my facory dash speakers in my 96 eclipse.

I was wondering what speakers I should install in my eclipse. So far I have replaced my door speakers with 6.5 Infinity Reference Series. I am thinking about a component system but I was afraid of how much trouble it would be to get my old dash tweeters out. I wanted to put 6''9'' in the rear but I don't think that I have the space. I think that I might just put another Infinity 6.5 in the back. Would I be sacrificing a lot of sound by doing this?

Originally posted by dicky
I was wondering if any one could tell me how to remove my facory dash speakers in my 96 eclipse.
Put a rag on a flat-bladed screwdriver, and pry gently at a few spots around the edges. They're held in with plastic clips, the grilles are part of the speaker. If it looks like the edge of the grille is coming up instead of the whole speaker, move around to a different part of the edge. I think there's 3 clips in there, maybe 4. They come out easily. just be gentle on the dash surrounding them.

Someone else will have to take the speaker question, I don't know what's good anymore.

I was wondering what speakers I should install in my eclipse. So far I have replaced my door speakers with 6.5 Infinity Reference Series. I am thinking about a component system but I was afraid of how much trouble it would be to get my old dash tweeters out. I wanted to put 6''9'' in the rear but I don't think that I have the space. I think that I might just put another Infinity 6.5 in the back. Would I be sacrificing a lot of sound by doing this?

hey, hows it going...the tweeters are almost impossiblke to take out...you have to take off the entire dash out to get to them, I have a 97 eclipse and I went with 2 6'5 in the front and 2 6'5 in the back

Originally posted by gmangat
hey, hows it going...the tweeters are almost impossiblke to take out...you have to take off the entire dash out to get to them, I have a 97 eclipse and I went with 2 6'5 in the front and 2 6'5 in the back

You are completly wrong. Did you not see Defiants post? All you need to do is take a flat head w/ a rag or something on it so you dont scratch the dash and they pop right out.

Oh and as far as a component set, you can do that, thats what i did. Just make a small mounting bracket for the tweeters and put them in the stock location. You can even put the factory grill cover back over them so it looks stock.

I wanted to put 6''9'' in the rear but I don't think that I have the space. I think that I might just put another Infinity 6.5 in the back. Would I be sacrificing a lot of sound by doing this?

You can fit 6 x 9s, you just need a mounting piece overtop. I have 6.5s in the back now and they are fine. Remember that that more circular the speaker, the better the sound quality. Now if you want more bass, you are going to want 6 x 9s. Also if you plan to amp them, id go 6 x 9s just b/c the RMS power on those are going to be alot more then a 6.5 so you have more power to work w/. IMO my 6.5 components (polks) and my 6.5s in the back (bostons) w/ a bass tube complimenting it in the trunk sound great.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back