The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Transmission grinding when down shifting only?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1gDsmRacer92

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 25, 2004
Memphis, Tennessee
hey guys i got a 92 eclipse gs 5 speed, it was like this when i bought it but when i downshift, and only when downshifting, it grinds 1st and 2nd gear, i just got the car so i havent had time to do anything to the transmission but i plan to put the metal bushings under the plate and in the shifter linkage to replace the crappy rubber ones and also going to change the trans oil with bg synchro shift (should i use somthing else) and rebleed the clutch slave cylinder, my clutch is really soft with hardly any resistance so hopefully that will fix the clutch, if it doesnt what else could it be causing the clutch to be real soft, i wasnt sure if that was causing the grinding but if that were it then it would do it in every gear wouldnt it? thanks guys for your help, DSM's kick ass you just got to keep them up, i plan on buying a 92 eagle talon tsi awd with 5 speed in december i like there body style better witht he swirl side panels.

Sounds like the syncros in the tranny, try to get the BG oil in there asap, it will extend the life of the syncros...

i was afraid of that but i hope i can avoid it, will the fliud stop the grinding or only help it, and if it is the synchos how much do you think they are to replace, if i pull the tranny out myself and take it to the shop? you guys kick ass man ive never got this kinda response and help from other forums.

i have a 92 GS as well, when i first bought the car it would grind while downshifting into second unless i was doing under 15 miles an hour when i put it into second. I knew it was a synchro problem from the start so i threw some GM SyncrhoMesh into my tranny to get as much from the worn synchros as i could. I gimped it for about 5 months before i broke down and tore the tranny apart....i ended up needing a full rebuild as the 1st/2nd gear synchros werent the only thing wrong..all in all i paid 1300 to have an entire rebuild done at a reputable shop here in town...that included an ENTIRE tranny rebuild...i even needed a new case as mine had a few small (hairline) cracks in it. as far as soft pedal pressure...the NT clutch is naturally soft as it isnt very strong (compared to a turbo) and its hydraulic (as apposed to a much stiffer cable system.) Bleeding the system would be a good start, it would at least put you back to stock pedal pressure (provided u let no air bubbles in) and give u an idea of where u should stand. it would also be a good idea with a new car anyways since u have no clue when the last time was that the last owner did it. U can also try adjusting the master cylinder clutch adjustment rod, this is a huge PITA to get to but also plays a HUGE role in pedal pressure, even very very fine adjustments can cause tremedous differences in clutch engagement (as in not right off the floor) and clutch pedal stiffness. theres a faq on it here... Clutch Adjustment ....the pics are from a 90 GSX but ull find everything to be almost (if not) exactly the same once u get ur head up under there. be sure u know what ur doing as to harsh an adjustment can kill your master cylinder as well as ur clutch in no time...hope this helps!
:dsm:

Could be the clutch master cylinder bad.

What i would do is downshift from 2nd to 1st from a 15mph and see if it grinds if it grinds then it could be the clutch master cylinder

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back