The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

homemade octane booster that really works!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsxtacy

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2002
Clovis, New_Mexico
Check out my post in Fuel Tuning on how to make your own 100+ octane fuel for cheaper than race gas at the track!!!! I am trying it out tommorow. Well let everyone know. I included links on the Fuel Tuning forum.

GSXTACY

:rolleyes:

mix 1 part xylene 115 oct or 1 part toulene 114 oct to 2 parts 93/94 octane gasoline and you'll have 100octane, wow that was hard.

you can also/should add in 1/10 part Maverls Mystery oil if you are making a big batch ;)

funny, from what i read, people were paying 8-10 dollars a gallon for the xylene, or 6-8 for the toulene, then you figure atleast $1.50 a gal for 93 octane and your looking at $9.50-11.50 a gal for xylene+93 octane mix (1:1 ratio), and $7.50-$9.50 for the toulene mix (again 1:1 ratio), so you figure splitting the prices in half and your looking anywhere from $3.75 a gallon to 5.75 a gallon. On the other hand, 100 octane around here cost about $3.50 a gallon (or so i remember), and i think i figured out one time a 55 gallon drum of i think it was sunco 112 unleaded (not sure on that one, just remember it was unleaded stuff) came out to be about $6.00 a gallon.
imo im gonna stick with the real stuff..to much research has gone into modern day fuels for me to try to 'mix' some stuff up, i love making and fabricating things, but i'd like to see long term effects on these cars with jugs of 'paint thinner' and 'cleaner' poured into dsm tanks of 93 octane.
thats just my $.02
someone prove me wrong, so i can try it as well :)

One word: Unleaded.

Aren't most 100+ octane gas leaded anyways?

Gas staions and alot of tracks have 100oct unleaded, all these mixtures and what not aren't.

I just use 109 at our track! Unleaded too!

Xylene-5 gallons for $15.00
93 octane- $1.50 a gallon

You need to mix it 1:1 which will give you an Octane of about 101, which is $2.25 a gallon.

Here you can buy 100 octane for 6.50 to 7.00 a gallon at the pump or 112 octane leaded gas at the track for around 7.00 a gallon ( which you can only fill up if the track is open.

A lot fo you guys are pretty ignorant to the fact. Most gas has 30% xylene in it anyways. So adding Xylene isn't goin to hurt it.

Overseas they use up to 45% Xylene in their gas thats why they have higher octane at most pumps than we do.

Originally posted by AW4G63
I just use 109 at our track! Unleaded too!

Who makes the 109? I was almost willing to put money on the fact that 104 is the highest UNLEADED you can get. VP and Sunoco are the two manufacturers I am aware of. I can get 76 Race Fuel (100 octane UNLEADED) for about $4/gallon.

Two words:AVIATION FUEL I use to work at a body shop and we made a mud truck out of a 57 chevy nomad anyway we were sick of driving to the nearest station to get 100 oct.(45 mins away) So we went 6 miles to a small air strip (really small, grass runway and all) and got 112-116 oct. for $ 3 -$3.50 a gal. This was just 2months ago. Don't know if it's the same every where or we just got a good deal but that's what we do. And oh what a sweet smell!!

Aviation fuel is leaded. They still use leaded gas in aircraft because most of the engines used in general aviation were built during the lead days, so it's needed to protect the exhaust valves.

It does smell nice though...:D

A sniffer? I'd be a little more concerned about plugging your $250 high flow CAT, or at least fouling your O2 sensor!

i wished i would have known this before i got layed off. where i used to work had all kinds of Xylene. i could have got it for free as much as i wanted. i heard of people there using it to clean out there carbs. but not race fuel. i may have to go back for a visit soon and stock up. LOL

Cl MaNTis, Jet fuel is totally different. Don't put that in your car unless you never want it to run right again. Jet fuel is Kerosene (aka refined Diesel fuel). You do not want that in a SI engine.

You people kill me with these octane ratings. Who buys Avgas with 112 octane--I don't think you can? 100LL is pretty much the standard, and it has a LOT of lead in it compared to auto race gas (even though LL mean Low Lead).

Originally posted by mrmadmax
I'd be a little more concerned about plugging your $250 high flow CAT

I'd be concerned if you had a CAT instead of a testpipe.

:rofl: yeah go ahead and mix equal parts xylene and 93 octane, thats a little to xylene potent for most any cars fuel system (xylene and toulene in high concentrations will eat plastic and rubber. plus (93 + 115)/2 =104 not 100,

mix 2 parts 93/94 octane fuel to 1 part xylene(115)/toulene(/114) and you arrive @ (93 + 93 + 115)/3 = 100 if you want to run this fuel all the time i would suggest adding in a bottle or 2 of Marvels Mystery Oil it will add back in a bunch of lubricants that you thinned out mixing in the xylene/toulene and not really affect total octane.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back