The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Check Engine light after installing new battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siberian

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2003
New Hope, Pennsylvania
Is it common for the Check Engine light to pop on shortly after installing a new battery?

I put a new Optima Red Top in friday night, and everything was fine. Drove around town shopping afterwards, stopping and starting the car a couple times at stores... and there was no Check Engine light, everything was fine.

Today (monday morning) I start it up for work, and the Check Engine light is on. Plus it's idling a little rougher and higher (900-1000) than usual. Nothing bad, I doubt anyone else would even notice, but I know my car - it's different.

Is this normal? If I disconnect/reconnect the battery, will that reset the light... and hopefully it won't come back? Should I have driven it longer without shutting it off once the battery was in to "teach" the CPU or something?

It's just so weird that it was fine friday night after the battery install, and now it's unhappy.

The engine is bone stock, I've done nada to it, nothing. It's been flawless for 5 years. The Check Engine light has never been on before, and this is the first battery swap ever, so it's gotta be related...

I am probably mistaken, but I think the battery/alternator has it's own light for that. If the battery wasn't getting a good charge, or somewhere something was off, there should be a charge light, or a light that has a symbol for a battery on there. You should go to autozone and buy a beeper, or whatever they are called, and read up on how to test for what the code is trying to tell you. They are like a few bucks. I don't think it is the battery/altenator, but maybe you unplugged something by messing with your battery. There is a hose that goes under the battery, and if you took off your battery box, you could have pulled it out. I think it is an emissions hose of some sort, but probably wouldn't cause your CE light to come on. You should just comb it over, and see if you unplugged something. Go buy the beeper, they are good to have.

Originally posted by gsx_tuner
You should just comb it over, and see if you unplugged something. Go buy the beeper, they are good to have.

Good idea! I'll take a look when I get home to see if I pulled a hose. I was really careful, but you never know.

Funny thing was how it was fine after the battery swap on friday... but decided to pop on the CHECK ENGINE light today. I hadn't touched the car since getting back friday night, when it was fine. No, come to think of it, I swapped in new door speakers saturday, and started the car after that too - and it was fine.

I suppose I HAVE to get some sort of beeper or data logger to get the CPU error code off a mitsubishi? My old honda had a row of LEDS on the front of the CPU box... ya just noted which ones were on, and looked it up. Easy. Does the Eclipse have anything similar?

There is a hose that goes under the battery, and if you took off your battery box, you could have pulled it out. I think it is an emissions hose of some sort, but probably wouldn't cause your CE light to come on.

Any failed emissions related item will cause the check engine light to illuminate on ODB-II cars. By the way, what's a beeper? I've never heard of a datalogger or scanner being referred to as a beeper.:confused:

Originally posted by AWDPetmitsu

Any failed emissions related item will cause the check engine light to illuminate on ODB-II cars. By the way, what's a beeper? I've never heard of a datalogger or scanner being referred to as a beeper.:confused:

Jeromie Hicks of NX uses this. He has found out on my car when my cam angle sensor was going out, and when my knock sensor was pulled out. When these accured my CEL came on. When he does it, he goes under the steering wheel, I think where the fuses might be, and he just has this thing with two wires sticking out of it. He goes through each one until he finds the problem. He never showed me exactly what he does when he goes under there, but he definately knows his stuff. This is the poor mans way of doing it, but it sure does work. I have saved lots of time and money off of this thing. Let me ask him, and I will let you know so you can save money too.

drive down to autozone or whatever, they will scan your car for free. My guess is that you popped some stupid emissions problem coincidentally.

Originally posted by Fryguy
drive down to autozone or whatever, they will scan your car for free. My guess is that you popped some stupid emissions problem coincidentally.

Shhhh, don't say that too loud.. I want an excuse to buy a datalogger, LOL, and my wife will never allow it if I can get the code read for free ;)

I'm hoping it's just a fluke thing. I reset the light (battery disconnect/reconnect) last night, and so far so good (no CEL). If it happens again, I'll just HAVE to buy a datalogger, cuz you know, they're SO much more reliable than AutoZone's equipment, etc., etc. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back