The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Fuel gauge needle stuck at full. Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsi_turboawd

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 20, 2002
Las Vegas, Nevada
I filled up my gas tank at sunoco, and after 75miles of driving i noticed something not normal with the fuel gauge. The needle on the fuel gauge is stuck at Full position! ..and now im at 170+ miles and its still at FULL.

no its not on a honda hybrid, im talking about my DSM. weird. :confused: could it be a sensor? gauge itself?

can anyone help.

Yes the sensor could be stuck. Yes the gauge could be stuck. Is the gauge cluster virgin [never touched or modded by anyone]? My gut says that the sensor in the tank is stuck, but my gut has lied to me before!!
Since it's easier to remove the dash cluster than the tank sensor, I'd start by taking out the cluster and play around [feel with my finger] with the gauge needle. Are you familiar with the removal procedure?

Yes i have taken out the gauge cluster before.

Well the needle was stuck at FULL line, then a few days ago it went down a bit but still stuck.

when i put in my indiglos, the fuel gauge, and only the fuel gauge, would get stuck sometimes because of a cut i had made to get the indiglos on. So i ended up just taking it back apart and cutting away the part that was making the needle stick and now its all better. So if you've messed with the gauge cluster, then that could possibly be it

Originally posted by wastefuldreamer
Mabe you are getting some very good mileage.

pffff yea right!

couldnt one of the electrical wires that are one the Fuel Pump assembly be loose or something? hmm..

no i was talking about the FP assembly is in the trunk.. but ill check me cluster too

Why are we talkin' fuel pump now? I've never been into that part of my car. Is the pump assembly and the gauge sensor all one unit [like mounted on the tank]?
In post 4 you wrote "the needle was stuck at FULL line". Do you mean the actual needle was physically stuck, or just that it stays in one place? In other words did you feel the needle with your finger?... and it's hard to move.

No i didnt get to feel the needle with my finger yet. It just stays at one spot wheter I shut the car on or off.

Well heres a little story:
the night before the needle didnt wanna move, i had a major fuel leak on one of the lines at the fuel pump assembly. So i simply replaced a hose and the leaked stoped.. then the next day i filled up the tanked and the needle just didnt wanna move and stayed at FULL.

..anyway, i recently looked at the top fuel pump assembly and all the electrical wires looks fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back