The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Rear tires bigger than my front!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jibberishballr

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 23, 2005
Chico, California
Like the title says...So i was wondering if this would cause any problems suspension wise or anything else? I noticed when my friend pulled his gs-t up next to mine. His is all stock and i thought he had lowered it because mine looked further off the ground than his...LOL

are you talking about wit stock rims also, or aftermarket because theres a lot of different things that will evaulate this, when i tried this on my stock rims i put bigger in the back, i think it was 215/45/16 and the stock 205/45/16 i believe it had poor handling and the car felt like it wanted to slide off the rode when i turned hard, so i ditched that set up and just put the bigger size of the back tires all the way around and have it lowered 2in . Oh anbd i forgot the handling sucked with that bigger in back set up dispite that i have front and rear strut bar, so i wouldnt recommend it unless its aftermarket rims. I have a friend with 225/40/16 in the back on his stock rims and the regular size tires on front and his looks mean as hell sitting like that, but i dont think it did any justice for his handling either. that set up is more for drag racing but if you like slamming corners i wouldnt recommend it

I suppose I should have ellaborated on my answer. The question is NO you will not "hurt anything" by running a staggered wheel setup. Do you want to? depends on the situation like the above poster mentioned.

blcknspo0ln said:
I suppose I should have ellaborated on my answer. The question is NO you will not "hurt anything" by running a staggered wheel setup. Do you want to? depends on the situation like the above poster mentioned.

I just think it doesnt look as good...I like how my friends looks with tires of the same size

nightspeed87 said:
are you talking about wit stock rims also, or aftermarket because theres a lot of different things that will evaulate this, when i tried this on my stock rims i put bigger in the back, i think it was 215/45/16 and the stock 205/45/16 i believe it had poor handling and the car felt like it wanted to slide off the rode when i turned hard, so i ditched that set up and just put the bigger size of the back tires all the way around and have it lowered 2in . Oh anbd i forgot the handling sucked with that bigger in back set up dispite that i have front and rear strut bar, so i wouldnt recommend it unless its aftermarket rims. I have a friend with 225/40/16 in the back on his stock rims and the regular size tires on front and his looks mean as hell sitting like that, but i dont think it did any justice for his handling either. that set up is more for drag racing but if you like slamming corners i wouldnt recommend it

Its aftermarket rims too by the way. I think im going to get tires of the same size and see if it looks better. I hope it does.

If you have ABS, it would not funtional correctly when any one of wheels is not the same as others. :dsm:

that could be true... You could risk it if you really like the way it looks that way but i know you wouldnt want to go back and forth spending money trying to figure out which size is the best size so i guess just keep doing your research.

Matchbox said:
If you have ABS, it would not funtional correctly when any one of wheels is not the same as others. :dsm:

I must not have ABS then because it works right now and ive got different size tires on. I think im going to get smaller tires for my rear so it looks lower and much better IMO.

ya u should get new tires in the back.. the whole bigger back tire setup looks wird when the front of your car is goin downward.. i bet ## friends car looks way tighter :p :p JK

jibberishballr said:
I must not have ABS then because it works right now and ive got different size tires on. I think im going to get smaller tires for my rear so it looks lower and much better IMO.

Well, you only use ABS when you brake hard enough to lock up the brakes then the computer takes over. So in normal driving, yeah your car "works".

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back