The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Towing broken down FWD & AWD

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreopride18

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 19, 2002
Crestview_Fl
I've wondered about this (no, I don't park in "No Parking" zones)

If my AWD gets towed by two wheels and the differential gets fried do I have to pay for the damage done or would it come out of the private property/towing companies pocket?

a_scobel said:
Yep...about 2 weeks after I bought my GSX, it broke down on me..so I got a tow truck. Didn't know it had to be a flatbed though..so my car was towed with the rear wheels on the ground for about half a mile since the auto hobby shop was right around the corner. It wasn't until later that I learned all 4 wheels had to be off the ground..my car's drivetrain's been fine though. This was about 3 years ago.

What happens is that it heats up the transfercase and eventualy burns it into oblivion. Lucky for you it was around the corner and you probablly didn't hit any fast speeds. Have it towed 10 miles and do 60 most of the way, your screwed.

You got seriously lucky that it didn't hurt anything, but good for you either way! I just can't understand how a tow truck driver wouldn't know it' 4X4, thats just beyone me.

DSMJim said:
What happens is that it heats up the transfercase and eventualy burns it into oblivion. Lucky for you it was around the corner and you probablly didn't hit any fast speeds. Have it towed 10 miles and do 60 most of the way, your screwed.

You got seriously lucky that it didn't hurt anything, but good for you either way! I just can't understand how a tow truck driver wouldn't know it' 4X4, thats just beyone me.

They don't know anything. They brought a regular tow truck to pick up my Subaru after I had an accident with it, even though every stinkin' advertisement they do screams about it's all-wheel-drive system.

Congrats on the new car, I'd love to buy a stock 2gb Eclipse, that thing looks lovely :thumb: . How many miles are on it?

I have a question when I bought by esi I towed on a dolley but the front of the car was to low to get the front wheels on so i backed it on and had the front wheels on the ground would that have hurt it? it was in neutral and its a manual tranny.

nube90 said:
I have a question when I bought by esi I towed on a dolley but the front of the car was to low to get the front wheels on so i backed it on and had the front wheels on the ground would that have hurt it? it was in neutral and its a manual tranny.

You are fine. That wouldnt hurt a thing.

AWD must be towed on a flatbed unless the driveshaft is removed.
:thumb:

If you read the manufacter book that came with car it says flatbed. But if you want to remove drive shaft it is you decision.
Question. Do you remove drive shaft completely because rear drive shaft will still move with the rear diff unless rear axle is removed? Or tie it out of way?

Before I bought my 99 GSX it was towed solely by the front wheels. It was at an auction and I told the tow truck driver that he couldn't do that but he insisted that it will tow. Since it wasn't my car their was nothing I could do. He went really slow and didn't travel but about 200 yards at a time. Fortunately it didn't hurt anything. So obviously an AWD can be towed by the front wheels in emergency situations. Keep it slow and distances short, but do at your own risk and only when you have to.

brodiedehass said:
Before I bought my 99 GSX it was towed solely by the front wheels. It was at an auction and I told the tow truck driver that he couldn't do that but he insisted that it will tow. Since it wasn't my car their was nothing I could do. He went really slow and didn't travel but about 200 yards at a time. Fortunately it didn't hurt anything. So obviously an AWD can be towed by the front wheels in emergency situations. Keep it slow and distances short, but do at your own risk and only when you have to.

You shouldnt ever have to. There will always be a flatbed available to you if you need it and if for som estupid reason there isnt you can remove the driveshaft if needed.

Why even risk it? What situation could there be that would force you to tow it that way?

So even if the front wheels were lifted by the tow truck and the rear wheels were on a tow dolly so that all 4 wheels were off of the ground it would still ruin your diff? That doesn't make any sense to me since none of the wheels would be able to turn:confused:

brodiedehass said:
Dont be a post whore :nono: . I was simply stating what happened prior to me owning it. I tried to get them to not do it but they still did. Actually the lot owned their own tow truck and it wasn't a flatbed.

Basically what I was wondering is why you would ever recommend someone to tow an AWD like you did even though you didnt have problems. Everyone knows that with the AWD system that is in DSMs you should never do it, period. I know you said to do it as a last resort but in my opinion that is still misinformation and some kid may take your advice and not be so lucky.

BTW, I am not a post whore, just trying to help the uninformed from falling victim to someones incorrect advice.:rolleyes:

UMR98GSX said:
So even if the front wheels were lifted by the tow truck and the rear wheels were on a tow dolly so that all 4 wheels were off of the ground it would still ruin your diff? That doesn't make any sense to me since none of the wheels would be able to turn:confused:

If you do as you just described you would be fine. All wheels must be off the ground.

lasertim said:
Basically what I was wondering is why you would ever recommend someone to tow an AWD like you did even though you didnt have problems. Everyone knows that with the AWD system that is in DSMs you should never do it, period. I know you said to do it as a last resort but in my opinion that is still misinformation and some kid may take your advice and not be so lucky.

BTW, I am not a post whore, just trying to help the uninformed from falling victim to someones incorrect advice.:rolleyes:

He didn't give incorrect information. He said, "So obviously an AWD can be towed by the front wheels in emergency situations. Keep it slow and distances short, but do at your own risk and only when you have to." And he's right...he never said it's okay to tow like that, just in emergency situations & very very short distances.

I cant figure out why my car isnt working after replacing the broken flexplate. But I just remebered that my dad towed me home after I broke down on the side of the road. He just hooked a rope to the car and I put the auto in nuetral and went home. I heard that you have to have your auto tranny running when you tow it or it will over heat the fluid. So, what may I have broke when I towed my auto home not running and on all fours?? Thanks.

BTW: My car wont go in reverse or shift, those are my symptoms.

Sbeing1 said:
I cant figure out why my car isnt working after replacing the broken flexplate. But I just remebered that my dad towed me home after I broke down on the side of the road. He just hooked a rope to the car and I put the auto in nuetral and went home. I heard that you have to have your auto tranny running when you tow it or it will over heat the fluid. So, what may I have broke when I towed my auto home not running and on all fours?? Thanks.

BTW: My car wont go in reverse or shift, those are my symptoms.

Viscous coupling and/or center diff.

DNA666 said:
If your car was towed w/o being on a flatbed your viscous coupling would most likely burn out. I was told that when the VC goes 9/10 of the time it will take out the center diff as well.

When my center diff was blown I could not get my car into gear.

Good luck finding your problem, I would start there though since it's an easy inspection.

Center diff or vc will not be hurt if it is towed with all 4 wheels on the ground turning at the same speed. If so, we would destroy them all of the time just by driving.

Which gear do you mean by shift? My first thought is either loose wiring connections, misaligned torque converter, shift linkage not hooked up, or low fluid. Did the converter slide out away from the tranny when you were replacing the flex plate? If so, you need to pull the tranny and align/spline in the converter because it is not engaged into the pump properly. If the fluid was overheated, it would change color and/or smell. Check the fluid level, color, and smell. Let us know the results.

Oh yea, I spaced it. I had a broken cv axle that caused all of the above mentioned damage.

92awddsm said:
Center diff or vc will not be hurt if it is towed with all 4 wheels on the ground turning at the same speed. If so, we would destroy them all of the time just by driving.

Which gear do you mean by shift? My first thought is either loose wiring connections, misaligned torque converter, shift linkage not hooked up, or low fluid. Did the converter slide out away from the tranny when you were replacing the flex plate? If so, you need to pull the tranny and align/spline in the converter because it is not engaged into the pump properly. If the fluid was overheated, it would change color and/or smell. Check the fluid level, color, and smell. Let us know the results.

I changed the converter to a 3500 stall, put in a shift kit, and put end clutches in. All new fluid is in now. I put the converter in as far as it would go and bolted it up, I dont see how it could be misaligned. Any other ideas? Thanks alot for your help!

DNA666 said:
Oh yea, I spaced it. I had a broken cv axle that caused all of the above mentioned damage.

How would a broken cv axle not let you go in gear?WTF

Sbeing1 said:
I changed the converter to a 3500 stall, put in a shift kit, and put end clutches in. All new fluid is in now. I put the converter in as far as it would go and bolted it up, I dont see how it could be misaligned. Any other ideas? Thanks alot for your help!

Did you add a qt of fluid to the converter before you installed it? Did you spline it in properly? You are suppsoed to set the converter in the tranny and spin it by hand. While spinning it, it should drop 3 times when splining it in. I know that dont make much sense but if you stand the tranny on the side cover, you set the converter in and spin it. It will make a thump sound and drop into the bell housing about 1/4". Do this 2 more times and it would be good to go. There is more to installing a converter than just putting it in.

Sbeing1 said:

How would a broken cv axle not let you go in gear?WTF

I broke the passenger side CV axle so that the wheel would no longer rotate unless the car was was moving. The viscous coupling burned out trying to compensate for the lack of traction. The center diff was trashed as well and the car would not go into gear for whatever reason.

After the VC and Center diff were replaced all was well, oh and the cv axle.

92awddsm said:
Did you add a qt of fluid to the converter before you installed it? Did you spline it in properly? You are suppsoed to set the converter in the tranny and spin it by hand. While spinning it, it should drop 3 times when splining it in. I know that dont make much sense but if you stand the tranny on the side cover, you set the converter in and spin it. It will make a thump sound and drop into the bell housing about 1/4". Do this 2 more times and it would be good to go. There is more to installing a converter than just putting it in.

Yea, I filled it with fluid, and pushed it in and turned and it "thumpd" 3 times (believe me, I did it for like 10min just to be sure. Lol, I know how to install a converter. I just dont know whats going on.

I might be buying a 1st gen. It wont have a motor. My question is do i still have to have all 4 wheels off the ground while towing? Its probably a dumb question, it still wil have the tranny and transfer case on the car. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks guys,
Kevin.

rent a flat bed or call a tow truck (flat bed) and if its lowered tell the company so they wont rip off the front end when the tow truck driver tests the limits of his truck (like they always do)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back