The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Headlight Mod.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danse Macabre

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2002
Rockledge_FL
Hey, I have a 90 Talon and as everyone knows, this year has the pop-up headlights. Personally, I really dont like pop-up headlights, is there anyway that anyone knows to modify them to be, "stationary". Kind of like what you can do to the RX7 headlights, if anyone knows what im talking about. I also want to do something witht the corner lights, I dont know what yet, either make them look nicer, or find a way to take them out. If anyone has any input on any of the two, let me know.

i saw a fiero once with the popups removed. The pust some kind of glass over the holes and modded it to have "normal" lights underneath. Kinda cool looking.

As far as the corners go... you can go over to procarparts.com and get clear corners with hyper white bulbs....
Best thing to do for those flip ups is get the conversion bulb housings so you can put the hella xenon bulbs in. If you really hate flip ups that much, sell it and get a 92 =)

I can't help you per say, but I do know that this can be done as a local guy here has this done to his car. If I find out what he did, I'll let you know

there is a mod in the electrical section of the VFAQ's that tells you how to wire the popups to be down when the headlights are on.

i was wondering the same thing. i figure, since they don't make projector kits for our year we gotta build 'em ourself. i was thinkin' late model 3000GT headlights.

1) build a containment area for the headlight so that it follows the lines of the hood.

2) now this is the hard part. find some type of plastic coveringwhich would conform to the surface of the light (like the RX-7).

i also wonder if it would be easier to just modify the RX-7 kit. i just don't know how big those lights are though. any other ideas, how you like mine?

1G headlight mod....theres a bunch of ways, but one way someone showed me is so easy its unbelieveable..

-Take off the passenger kick panel (1 screw, 1 plastic lock pin)
-Reach up and pull down mess of wires and plastic connectors.
-Look for a little white plastic square about the size of a, umm, chiclet? :) Theres 3 wires going into it. And theres only one connector that looks like this.
-A pair of needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver are what I used. Just pry the fuse looking thing out of the middle. Its also white and has 3 copper prongs on it. when you get it out, id put it somewhere where u can find it later, in case u sell the car.
-DONE

Auto popup is now disabled, and the light shines through the front lenses. This is how my car is set up, and i figured out that high beams when the headlights are down are just as bright as low beams when they are popped up. (I drive with the high beams on all the time, basically.) Now, you can pop the headlights up and down with the popup switch if u want them up.

This switch doesnt work when the headlights are on, however. With it set up like this, you can push the button in while the headlights are on, and just turn the headlights off and back on real quick, and catch the lights midway. Makes your car look "sleepy". :) hehe. It will look like this after u are done: http://www.dsmtuners.com/cgi-bin/gallery/index.pl?photo=2813

As for your corner lights, clear corners for 1G DSMs are free, if you feel like taking a few minutes to pull the orange lens out of your old ones. I made a page telling how to do that here...it's easier than you think: http://www.sounddomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=155904&page=6

Lemme know if that helps u or not.

Thanks for all the advice, I just finished taking that fuse type thing out, so now I can have my headlights either way. Not to mention I can do the "sleepy" look. For now this will be good to keep me till I find a way to do a RX7 type mod.

so they both work the same way no matter if you do the chicklet mod or pull the pink fuse?

The chicklet mod lets you have the headlights on with the whole unit wither up or down.

The fuse mod only lets you have the lights on with the unit down.

So the chicklet is better, but a little harder. The only trouble i had was taking that damn fuse thing out of the chicklet-like piece.

And let all of you know.....the kick panel sparrow was talking about...is on the right... heh, i took the one on the left off and was confused to see there was no "mess of wires". I got it right though....

i don't think my car has this "chiclet," i couldn't find anything with three wires going into it and nothing coming out the other side... :confused:
i'm just going to hook up a wire to the headlight pop-up switch, that seems to be the best thing. that way, i can open them from inside with the lights off... and with them on, whoo!
anyone else try this mod and have the problem of the wire not being there??

ok... i'll look for it again tomorrow... so it's just a little white box with wires going into it, but not coming out the other side? is it connected to a larger plastic connector? like it appears to be in the photo

everyone ive been trying to find out how to this ever since i bought my 91 GSX a few months back.. i come here for a few days, just registered and i find out. Well, i did it 5mins ago and i love it, thanks sparrow.

I cant find the chiclet thing under my side kick panel. I see some wire harnesses and one thing that looks like a fuse relay like that would be used in a power cord for like an amp or something like that. However, that one only has one cord going in and out of the fuse so I do not believe that is it. Also the headlight mod under vfaq.com does not work so I cant find any info on how this mod can be performed.

Thanks.

i just removed the headlight motor fuse. the downside is that my foglights don't turn on now... maybe i'll get around to figuring out the wiring some day and fix it so the switch can raise the headlights whether they're on or off, and still have foglights...

:D after the headlight mod using the chiclet thing...is it normal for the fog lights not to work?:confused:

i didn't remove the chiclet thing, i couldn't find anything resembling a chiclet thing under my dash

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back