The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420a turbo at 5 psi exhaust size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonpurnell

Proven Member
Mar 6, 2013
Covington, Kentucky
I'm going to be converting my 97 talon 420a to turbo here in next few months. What would be a good exhaust size? I'm going to run around 5 psi. I don't plan on going any higher. Would my stock exhaust be ok or should I put 2.5 or 3" exhaust? I will be using a t3t4 turbo.

You can buy a muffler and get custom piping done from a muffler shop too. Thats what i always do

Honestly you have to call a couple of muffler shops and see. It will vary from shop to shop. It only cost me a few hundred to get 3" mandrel bent from the 02 housing back to the muffler. I also agree that 2.5" should be enough for 5 psi

On a turbo application, there is no such thing as too big exhaust. The turbocharger provides the engine with backpressure, and the turbo doesn't want backpressure against it's exit.

If you can find a 3" cheaper (think ebay....) then just run a 3".

At 5psi, I'd be surprised to see any repeatable performance gains from a cat-back exhaust over stock.

If you want to upgrade though, might as well go 3" and keep yourself from upgrading twice.

Issue is all ebay exhausts are not 3". Ive contacted a lot of the sellers and their actually 2.75 claiming to be a true 3". As an above poster stated muffler shops looking to be the best bet. I found one true 3" catback that was a no name and they wanted $550.. smh

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back