The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

420a turbo at 5psi. Do I need a tune?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonpurnell

Proven Member
Mar 6, 2013
Covington, Kentucky
I have a 97 talon 420a. I have a stock rebuilt engine with 10k miles on it. I want to build a turbo kit and put it on only running about 5psi. Do I need to get bigger injectors for that and pump. Also my big question is do I need to tune it for only 5psi? I've searched but I can't find an answer for that. Thanks for the help in advance.

Stock injectors should be fine.

You will need a way to tune since the 420a ECU can't read positive pressure in the manifold. It will not be able to compensate the AFR for the boost.

It really depends on which turbo you choose, but for many smaller turbos (14b, 16g, T25, T3, etc.) the stock injectors, stock regulator, and a 12:1 FMU will work without additional tuning. This was a common method of fuel control back when people first installed turbochargers in 420A DSM's. For maximum protection, you ought to install an EGT gauge and/or wideband O2 sensor system to monitor what's going on in the combustion chamber.

I just seen a 12:1 selling for 75 bucks on another website. So they are out there. I know this one guy that runs 5psi without an intercooler which is crazy to me but certain things are doable if you do your research.

I would suggest an AEM FIC piggyback. awesome tuning device for the 420a. I've built a couple turbo'd neons and their ecu's are virtually identical and I've always tuned them with the FIC. I can even help ya set-up a good tune

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back