The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

10.5:1 turbo 93 octane??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw wrenn

Proven Member
Jun 11, 2013
Oxford, North_Carolina
I'm gathering up parts for my turbo build but I want to know if 93 octane pump gas with an octane booster added would be sufficient yes I know e85 would be easier its just the closest station with it is 45 minutes away and to much of a hastle any suggestions are appreciated

Sufficient for what, the 8psi you can run on that block? Yes. Running 18 psi at 11.2 afr on 91 oct over here.

Not many details to really answer your question, but the go to answer is yes. I say that because its not like us already turbo guys have some magic gas, some have even worse than 93.... like utah, with 91

Also, unless you are using a serious race additive for the gas (expensive), don't waste your time with off the shelf octane boosters. One bottle on most raises the octane like .2. So you'd have 93.2 octane gas for an extra $10, not worth it.

Post better details of what you plan on running etc.

Especially with the 420a it can be done. Mark bullet makes 567hp with a s366 (10.5 comp motor) on pump gas. Alot of people are doing higher compression builds and finding out with the right tune it's working great on pump. But break in your engine first if you rebuild it then install the turbo.

Breezio is dead on don't use cheap octane booster.

Like the others have already said, forget about the octane booster. If you want to run pump gas maybe you would want to run some water/alky/meth injection to help keep the charge temp down and deter detonation.

Or get some toluene/xylene and up your octane that way. I tried that before I switched to E85, but I honestly can't remember the results I had. Do some searching on the forum, since that's where I got the idea myself.

The NOS octane booster really works, but it turned my plugs yellow and fouled them pretty quick.

thanks guys I'm doing another high. comp short block and I plan on running for a year n/a to break in, and yes I mean an additive you mix with the gas in tank

oh and as for the set up it will probably be the treadstone. kit

You need to get the proper turbo for a high comp motor. You don't want to run a turbo with a small a/r. You will still need a way to tune and I wouldn't use the intercooler with that kit. But that's just me, it is an alright kit just look at reviews and what others say about it that have used it.

Run colder plugs good tune with lower timming.

iok so do you guys think that kit with a different intercooler would work on aa 10.5:11 comp on pump gas? it will not be a daily just a weekend or fun car

I have a different suggestion if it's a weekend car! Make the drive to get E85!!! It is totally worth it and here is what I do.

I have a 30gal plastic drum that used to have liquid fertilizer in it that I cleaned out and dried. I have 35 gal in 5 gal cans. I drive from Wilm to Benson NC (100 miles one way) about once every 2-3 months. I mix 60/40 E85 and pump gas, so the E85 lasts about twice as long. (Used to run 50/50 with no problem) I have about 9.25:1 CR running 35-38psi, 22* timing and ~12:1 AFR. TOTALLY worth the 4 hr round trip every couple months!

I tried octane booster, toluene and was about ready to get a meth kit until I just decided to bite the bullet and drive to get E85. One of the best decisions I've ever made for my DSM and that was about 4 years ago!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back