The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

turbo fuel management question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1g8420a

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 19, 2011
Fort Riley, Kansas
Ok so I have a 57 trim turbo set up on my 420a stock head built block.. I have started upgrading fuel stuff I have Accel 650 injector(s) and a Walbro 255lph I am currently in between fuel stuff .. Obviously when the car starts its choking on fuel and makes it sound like i have aftermarket cams.. I am not quite sure if I need a FMU. I would like to get a Apexi SAFC Neo.. I am not too wire savvy but I have a friend who is familiar with the SAFC and says he can install it.. If I get the SAFC do i still need a FMU? I have a Areomotive FPR on the way.

when I have the FPR I know there is the stock Idle fuel Pressure but, since I am running larger injectors is there a need to run that at lower than stock fuel pressure at idle?

First off, 650's and an FMU is wayyyy to much fuel. Unless you meant you have an SFMU which you can adjust, most still stick with only 450's with an SFMU and stock injectors with a FMU.

Secondly, don't waste your money on a SAFC, stay with your FMU setup and just save up for MS or portfueler. Then when you get one of those, your aeromotive FPR will come in handy.

Edit - also the second part is just a recommendation, it's the tried and true way and just makes more sense to go with either MS or portfueler.

if you want to use the 650s effectively you'll need something to control them properly and if you want a SAFC then just use that money for megasquirt. Theyre about the same price for what you need it for. with MS youll just need the injectors and a afpr, no need for and FMU or stock fmu

when you get your SAFC you just compensate for the injectors on the fuel map with a wideband. Or save for link.
either way fmu is out of the picture

when you get your SAFC you just compensate for the injectors on the fuel map with a wideband. Or save for link.
either way fmu is out of the picture

As you can see, he has a N/T.. There is no ecmlink for 420a (N/T cars).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back