The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A What clutch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redondoaveb

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 25, 2008
redondo beach, California
I'm having the clutch replaced in my 1999 GS. The car has no motor upgrades. I'm not looking to have an OEM clutch put in and have been looking at Gripforce Stage 1 and XTD Stage 1.

I've read some pretty good reviews on them and am wondering if there is a preference between the two. Or is there another recommendation?

Thanks for the help.

I don't much about the 420a's but I do know that the xtd stage 1 is pretty much a stock clutch. The stage 4 is the only that has good ratings and feedback. I run the stage 4 in my gsx and it is holding up to my hx40 just fine. The pedal is a little stiffer than stock, but not bad at all. You get used to it and it will handle whatever you throw at it.

Thanks for all the replies and the help. Looks like XTD it is.

Depending on your budget is what it's all about. I went with a spec stage 2 clutch for my built n/a motor and I couldn't be happier with it. Hooks up great and the pedal is not too stiff. But you have a ton of choices. Alot of people will say go oem since you don't have any mods, it's your choice tho.

Lol I have stage 1 but forgot what clutch I have. It still kind of have a little pull. Anyway just choose stage 1 or 2. I don't think stock motor would like to go over that, dont want to find out.

I ordered the stage 1 XTD, hopefully it holds up to the massive 140 hp of my stock GS :D I will drive it easy for a while though, make sure I break it in properly.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I can tell you this with most aftermarket clutches. Use an oem throw out bearing because most aftermarket bearings have an aluminum or metal inner casing which will wear out. This causes it to rattle and squeal after time. The oem has hard rubber inner casing which prevents that from happening.

I just learn new thing. I did not know that after install new clutch that need to break it in. I always thought it doesn't matter like putting new brake pad and go.

I can tell you this with most aftermarket clutches. Use an oem throw out bearing because most aftermarket bearings have an aluminum or metal inner casing which will wear out. This causes it to rattle and squeal after time. The oem has hard rubber inner casing which prevents that from happening.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll get one ordered.

Never go oem period.... if u can stray away from a modular clutch.... I've killed 3 within 6months... I just put them in ### free warranty

True but ehhhh just put little bit of brake grease on new brake pad on metal and put it on that all. Also make sure rotor don't have grease on while doing brake labor. Use brake cleaner ;)

Never go oem period.... if u can stray away from a modular clutch.... I've killed 3 within 6months... I just put them in ### free warranty
The XTD Stage 1 is going in. I got over 30 thousand on my stock clutch, hopefully the XTD holds up just as well. :pray:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back