The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Grinding on down shift to first?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitecl96

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 20, 2012
McMinnville, Tennessee
OK I have a 96 eclipse with a 420a manual transmission. OK I was at my brothers house and I realized that I was out of clutch fluid. Well I had no money so I had to drive it back home about 30 mins away and mostly highway. But my clutch barely worked and I basicly had to first in to first when I had to stop. Well after I got home and put some guild in it and rebleed it everything was fine beside if I was moving and slowing down I would shifts to first it would grind bad.
Well I finally got to replace the slave and master cylinder because the both were bad and it still does this. What could be wrong. I was thinking the synchronize but first and second share one and I have no problem with second or any other gears. Could that still be the problem?

You ate "First Gear" up, Could be the clutch fork, 1st Gear Synchronizer or release bearing...you can only know by opening her up...Double check your linkage, because you forcing it in, could also cause problems....

Force was the wrong word to use but I didn't slam it in, I just kept it till it went to first.
I did fail to say if I come to a complete stop and I can shift to first no problem.
I need to get an idea of what's wrong because I can't take it apart and wait for parts because I need it being a daily driver.

Wait til ya stop then downshift to first. Problem solved.

Had the same issue with a VW rabbit and my mom had the same issue in a newer kia spectra. Ya just learn to live around it unless ya want to try and fix it. Nothing went bad while I had it so I don't think it became a true mechanical issue.

I really need to fix the problem because I doing an Autocross that's in a parking lot with cones and some of the turns I need to shift down to first and I cant.
I do not want to avoid the problem.

I would again recommend open her up at least the pan, and see what's up. But it is possible that you burned up the 1st syncho....I do not want get you upset, it is the ONLY way! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ My first sentence covers it.

What pan I have a manual. But I'm asking what y'all think so I can order stuff to take it apart. I'm not getting upset I am just looking for theory's. Like I said was it my synchronizer but first and second share the same synchronize so wouldn't I have a problem with second?

Sorry, let me rephase what I meant. Drain the fluid and check, is what I meant by "at least check what is in the drain pan". Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I finally am back to this problem for a while.

Where is the drain plug? I have looked but only see where to put fluid in for the diff.
I know I am over looking it.

Also, do they have a complete rebuild for this transmission. NV-T350 right?

I am also looking for a service manual to help me rebuild the transmission.
Thinking about getting a transmission from a pull a part and rebuilding it. I've seen also somewhere that I can put a taller 5th gear in it to lower the RPMs on the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres a drain plug on the bottom of the trans and a fill about half way up. You need to remove it and see what comes out. If your under the car you can't miss it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back