The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Fuel Pump Primes No Spark

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1996Eclipse420a

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 12, 2012
Wilkesboro, North_Carolina
Can someone help me out with this. I've been battling it for the past 3 days. First off as the title states, the car has absolutely no spark. When the key is turned to "ON" the fuel pump primes. Also, the WHITE relay clicks on too. However, the black relay does not click on when the switch is turned on. I'm not sure if it is suppose too or not. I do know that if you leave the switch on long enough, the black relay starts clicking a few times... I have 12V to the coil pack for 2 seconds when the white relay first clicks on.

However, today I played with the cam sensor pigtail a little bit and the BLACK relay starts clicking uncontrollably. I tried tugging on a few wires when it was doing it to see if it would stop but it didn't. The only way I got it to stop was to unplug the cam sensor plug. I finally got it work and fire normally, so I drove it to work. When I left work tonight the car would not fire again.

I'm so aggravated that I really don't care at this point. It has become such a headache. I also notice that when I take a voltmeter across the cam sensor wires, and touch 2 at once, I can make the BLACK relay click a single time. There is only 5V going to the cam sensor.... I picked up the BOSCH Relay earlier today that fits our car and replaced the BLACK relay (which I assume is the ASD.) Well that didn't solve a damn thing. I've already tried a new crankshaft sensor, and unplugging the cam sensor.... no fuses are blown either.

Do you still have the EGR valve installed? If so your EGR pipe could have melting the harness right where you where messing with it at(cam sensor) and shorted some to ground. If not, I had a issue with loosing spark a while back, which made me go to MSnS. While redoing the harness for MS I found the root cause. It was an improper clamp on my axel boot that started hitting the harness and knicking a wire, over time it eventually rubbed through it and I lost spark at random times going down the road. Worth a check!

Do you still have the EGR valve installed? If so your EGR pipe could have melting the harness right where you where messing with it at(cam sensor) and shorted some to ground. If not, I had a issue with loosing spark a while back, which made me go to MSnS. While redoing the harness for MS I found the root cause. It was an improper clamp on my axel boot that started hitting the harness and knicking a wire, over time it eventually rubbed through it and I lost spark at random times going down the road. Worth a check!

Alright man, thanks. It's still sitting at work and I really would rather drive it home than have it towed. It was running fine yesterday while driving and then it just quits. The ASD relay clicks on like it should. I don't know the symptoms of a cam sensor, but it seems to me that if the sensor was bad then it wouldn't start at all. When I had it running yesterday it seemed fine, no missing or anything. I guess it's a possibility that something is shorting out....

Is there a way I could use a jumper wire or something to get it started so I can drive it home?

You can mark it as resolved :p after pulling off a ton of electric tape that the previous owner had on the cam sensor harness plug, I found 3 naked wires. They all were touching and causing the one of the relays to go crazy. Fixed the wiring and it didn't start, so I bought a new cam sensor and it works fine. Guess it damaged the sensor. Now in a week it's time for a tune at Brutal Speed in Hickory NC.

I know my Chrysler Sebring did that one day when I was driving home and it just quit turned out to be the cam position sensor along with the distributor.

You can mark it as resolved :p after pulling off a ton of electric tape that the previous owner had on the cam sensor harness plug, I found 3 naked wires. They all were touching and causing the one of the relays to go crazy. Fixed the wiring and it didn't start, so I bought a new cam sensor and it works fine. Guess it damaged the sensor. Now in a week it's time for a tune at Brutal Speed in Hickory NC.

hickory NC eh, your somewhat close to me. Glad you got it fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back