The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

good turbo for my 420A, please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ckkime55

Proven Member
Jan 25, 2014
Lansing, Michigan
I am looking into putting a turbo on my 97 eclipse gs and would like to know what other people have put on theirs and some good input on them. I would really like to put on the big evo 16g turbo but ive only seen it on the 4g63 engines. Any other suggestions on a good turbo?

I would be more concerned if your engine is healthy enough for a turbo. Would save your money to get some forged internals, a way to tune, and than put on a turbo.

I am looking into putting a turbo on my 97 eclipse gs and would like to know what other people have put on theirs and some good input on them. I would really like to put on the big evo 16g turbo but ive only seen it on the 4g63 engines. Any other suggestions on a good turbo?
You're asking kind of a broad, vague question. I think the MHI turbos are great (14b, 16g, etc.), but unfortunately they use flanges that are incompatible with most 420A turbo exhaust manifolds. It really depends on your goals--and this subject can get complicated fast--but if you're considering a 16g, I say look into something like Garrett (or any other reputable manufacturer) T3 turbos. Most 420A turbo exhaust manifolds have a T3 flange.

- Get a desired boost level in mind.
- Calculate volumetric efficiency for your engine.
- Learn how to read a compressor map.
- Select a turbo based on your engine's requirements and your power demands.
Just the man to ask! :thumb:

what engine internals should i uprade first? the car only has 136k miles on it. this is my first manual eclipse, been inspired by fast cars my whole life so im wanting to do it right.

what engine internals should i uprade first? the car only has 136k miles on it. this is my first manual eclipse, been inspired by fast cars my whole life so im wanting to do it right.

the bottom end is what takes most of the brunt of the forces. i would use upgraded h-beam connecting rods, pistons and a crankshaft. im not sure if there are aftermarket crankshafts available for the 420a engine anymore, have to check into that. some performance rod and main bearings would be a good idea as well.

for the cylinder head, if you want more flow, a stage 2 camshaft, valve spring and retainer kit is good. use the updated lifters and rocker arms. and get 1mm over sized valves. i know there are some tuners getting away with the 2.7L engine rocker arms but i have to find the thread again.

The stock crank is plenty for most goals. Rods and pistons should by done. A way to tune it either safc or MSnS. 255 pump bigger injectors and a fpr. I ran 17lbs of boost on my stock 420a way back in the day. It lasted at least 45 seconds before tuning my piston into a golf ball. I have a video on streetfire of the aftermath. May link it if i can find.

- Get a desired boost level in mind.
- Calculate volumetric efficiency for your engine.
- Learn how to read a compressor map.
- Select a turbo based on your engine's requirements and your power demands.
the boost level i want is something where it can still be a summer driver but be able to keep up with most other upgraded cars muscle and tuner

what is a good boost level?

I think your trying to get too much info force fed on you, You should use the search function and find out what is the right level for you (No point in setting a boost level without choosing a turbo, for DD a 20G is the best turbo IMO but idk if a 420A would hold one, and you should read that link (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/420...-read-before-you-post-420a-forums-warned.html)

"By now, N/T DSM owners probably already understand that it is not cheap or easy to turbocharge their N/T DSM. It may be cheaper to sell their N/T and buy a factory turbocharged DSM, but we'll let them choose their own path."

You would need a fully built 420A and fuel system, and tuning at minimum.(and wideband, boost guage, some other stuff i'm forgetting.)

+1 on wanting to be force feed info. OP, it would be you in your best interest to read and research, and read some more. Google is a wonderful tool.

Look in the 420a for sale section, there is a guy trying to sell rods, pistons, and some needed head studs that are just posted. Do it once, and do it right. As for tuning, stick to either portfueler or megasquirt.

Plan your build according to power goals, not the boost level you want to run. Can run 20 psi on a 16g and run 20 psi on a 20g, of course there will be a difference in power. So get the how much boost you want out of your head for now.

As said, research is key. Look on here and 2gnt.com, both are a great place for info. On 2gnt.com, at least you won't hear any of the sell your 420a and get a 4g63 bull shit you see here.

eagle makes some good rods. i bought a lot of my forged internals from race engineering. here's the direct link for the 420a section: Race Engineering, Inc - 420A

turboing a 420a is a little more difficult than a 4g63 engine and it does require more money and research. 8psi of boost is good for most stock engines but once you start going past 20 psi or so its good to have forged internals.

here's my build link if you like to take a look: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm...-1998-eagle-talon-street-build-monster-4.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back