The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

camshaft install help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goatxxmastr

Proven Member
Jan 21, 2013
everett, Washington
planning on possibly installing a stage 1 or 2 camshaft in my 420a. a family member has a friend that just sold his car and has a set he never got around to installing still that he said i could have . Thing is, i cant seem to find any sort of guide or video anywhere on how to do it.

it doesnt look all that hard. i know i will need new springs and retainers, as well as having to time it once its in, but if someone could please add a link to a guide or a video on the install process, that would be amazing!

Thank you,
Goat

Your best bet is to buy a Chilton or factory service manual. You can find thread on how to install but you need the torque specs for everything to be done proper. You will also need to find a special over head valve spring compressor to change the springs and retainers.

It's funny that you replied jayson427, since you were the one of the poster's helping the op in the thread I linked to.

Toughest part will be getting the cam gears off. If it was me, since the timing belt will be off, I'd also replace all timing components (timing belt, tensioner, and pulleys, and etc.) and possibly the water pump. Somewhat of a two-fer so to say.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back